84 Dolphin

D&M

i will travel to see the vehicle and not sure how much info/history will be available. It has 69000 miles..and is priced around $2500..that's what i know now. can you give me some ideas on important things to check or ask about? I hope to have a mechanic with me..but not sure how much he will know about this particular vehicle. i printed the info about the rear axle FAQs. my be useful. Open to anything you can add. thanks

Edited by D&M

Hey D&M.

Just wanted to say that I bought an '84 Dolphin 15 months ago with 82,000 miles in great shape with all maintenance records since new. I payed $5000.00 and I'm not disappointed. I did end up replacing the water heater, (it rusted out from the inside due to age $265.00). I also made a few improvements to the suspension, (timbrens, shocks etc.).So, If the unit you are looking at runs well, and it should w/69000 miles, and everything works, and no water leaks, you'll get a good deal for that price!!

Look real good for water damage! That can be a heck of a project and get costly.

T.A.J.

Edited by T.A.J.

Hi D&M,

Welcome to the forum! If you have time to look through the forum, you will find so much information that will answer many questions. We have a '84 Dolphin and had the rear axle replaced last year ('08). If you are able to take a mechanic along for the initial inspection that would be great, but may not be able to do a thorough job away from the shop.

Ask when the motorhome was last driven. If it has set for a long time, the gas won't be good and there could be debris in the gas tank that can cause problems with the fuel pump. etc. If the engine has been maintained well, these trucks will go for who knows how long. The heavy duty rear axle is a must in these.

Look for leaks in the coach. Lift up cushions in the area over the cab to see if there are water stains on the wood. Look around the windows and the roof vents. Open all the cabinets and look for leak stains. Check for soft spots on the floor. Ask questions about the plumbing and electrical. Check the roof condition. There will always be things to fix or replace so expect that.

Mileage on this one isn't too high and the price is good. Actually seeing the motorhome will give you a good idea as to what shape it is in and if you want to buy it. These are great little motorhomes and a lot of fun, but remember they are small and slower.

Hope this one will turn out to be what you are looking for. Best wishes! We love ours (4 cyl., 4 speed manual).

Dianne

Thank you both for your advice. I did see the camper today and your ideas helped a lot. My husband is 6'2"; i was hoping we could make the two fit; not happening. Also, just for info..are there any models out there that are 6cyl, automatic, with power steering? I will remain open minded about these little guys...anyway, thanks again!!

Thank you both for your advice. I did see the camper today and your ideas helped a lot. My husband is 6'2"; i was hoping we could make the two fit; not happening. Also, just for info..are there any models out there that are 6cyl, automatic, with power steering? I will remain open minded about these little guys...anyway, thanks again!!

i have an 84 dolphin , my previous dolphin was an 83... I feel that they made some very good improvements between those two years at least on the models i have owned....

i traded my 83 in the middle of renovations for a 4,000 dollar jeep cj7 that the original owner tracked me down and offered me 5500 cash for... i took it of course... :)

paid some bills and bought an 84... toy dolphin.... mine has 124k miles on it and it runs better than my last one...

i say get it if you havent unless it has major repairs on the horizon...

these arent exactly getting easier to find and they are so much fun you just have to experience it...

for 2500 its a fairly safe investment...

I paid $7700 for an '86 Escaper with 46,000 mi. two years ago and am still happy. It came from New Mexico and had no rust, dents, dings other damage. Everything was original and working except for the furnace. I spent $15 for a relay and it was fixed. It has original on board generator and roof ac. I added a roof antenna, one of the original equipment type that crank up and rotate. Plan to add an awning this year. Been to Yellowstone, Colorado, New Mexico, Little Sahara, Arkansas and more. I've had every camper and motorhome combo there is except for the popup and this is best for our present purposes. It runs and drives like new. I even tow a small trailer with two four wheelers. Did I mention it's a four cylinder four speed?

i will travel to see the vehicle and not sure how much info/history will be available. It has 69000 miles..and is priced around $2500..that's what i know now. can you give me some ideas on important things to check or ask about? I hope to have a mechanic with me..but not sure how much he will know about this particular vehicle. i printed the info about the rear axle FAQs. my be useful. Open to anything you can add. thanks