81 Huntsman, to buy...or not.

nomadicsag1

I'm on the brink of buying my first Toyo Home, yikes!

The 81 Huntsman has a wood, not aluminum, frame,

anybody with experience, advice on this?

Otherwise it's not leaking and in pretty good shape. I'll have a mechanic look at the engine.

But anyone with Huntsman and or wood frame knowledge, would be appreciated.

Also, how big of a mecanical/ expense issue to put in a generator?

I've learned a lot form this site.. thanks to all!

~annie

Annie, before you buy, take a sharp pointy tool like an icepick, and on the inside of the Toyota, at the roof/wall intersection push the icepick into the wood frame in a few places, if it sinks in easily, you have found a rotten frame member. Do it inside cupboards where it wont show, and under the seats at the wall/floor join, pull the mattress out and check with your icepick along the very front edge of the floor above the drivers seat. Look for signs of past leaks (staining) around window bottoms. Everything else is relatively easy to fix, but in my opinion frame rot is fatal. Back when I was in the boat game, I could smell rotten wood, but with the years my sniffer has lost its keen edge.

The other tip is if you buy it, and if its an automatic, dont use overdrive, the Toyota manual says not to use it when the truck is loaded, read lugging around a little house.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the generator. I have a generator in my '86 Escaper and have never used it. It's noisy and I think the only time I might use it would be to run the ac for a little bit to take a nap while traveling. Because of the noise I don't think this would be posible. Any other time if it's ac weather I stay where there's electric and don't need the generator. If I'm dry camping in cooler weather my batteries are fine. I've camped in freezing weather where the furnace blower ran all night and the battery was fine. I've never understood the need for solar panels. Whenever you run the engine both batteries recharge as long as they are in good condition along with the isolator. Don't waste your money on a generator. Spend the extra money on a good solid coach that has no leaks, is all original and everything works like the day it came from the factory. The truck is just a truck and can be repaired as long as it's not rusted. If the coach is rotten don't buy! I wish you the best of luck. Mike

I'm on the brink of buying my first Toyo Home, yikes!

The 81 Huntsman has a wood, not aluminum, frame,

anybody with experience, advice on this?

Otherwise it's not leaking and in pretty good shape. I'll have a mechanic look at the engine.

But anyone with Huntsman and or wood frame knowledge, would be appreciated.

Also, how big of a mecanical/ expense issue to put in a generator?

I've learned a lot form this site.. thanks to all!

~annie

Annie, before you buy, take a sharp pointy tool like an icepick, and on the inside of the Toyota, at the roof/wall intersection push the icepick into the wood frame in a few places, if it sinks in easily, you have found a rotten frame member. Do it inside cupboards where it wont show, and under the seats at the wall/floor join, pull the mattress out and check with your icepick along the very front edge of the floor above the drivers seat. Look for signs of past leaks (staining) around window bottoms. Everything else is relatively easy to fix, but in my opinion frame rot is fatal. Back when I was in the boat game, I could smell rotten wood, but with the years my sniffer has lost its keen edge.

The other tip is if you buy it, and if its an automatic, dont use overdrive, the Toyota manual says not to use it when the truck is loaded, read lugging around a little house.

Tony

Tony