Dry rot...to be or not?

tahoedonna2006

Hi all,

I plan to be a regular post-er...once we buy a Toy! Thank you, up front, for this very helpful forum. As an absolute newbie it's a godsend.

We are contemplating a couple of options, one of which is a 1987 New Horizons. From the look of it, the exterior is quite different from most Toys - looks like molded plastic (similar to Chinook? Or Sunrader?). I've been warned that dry rot can be a real problem if the roof has not been properly maintained, but wondered if any of you have this type of exterior and have or have not experienced leaking (or any other type of problem).

Thanks much,

Donna

Hi welcome and thanks!

Dry rot can be a hard one to find. Sunraders are constructed with a fiberglass exterior, then a layer of plywood then the finale layer of paneling. There is no air space in the walls etc. You will have to look for signs of water damage inside around windows, roof vents etc. I personally do not know how a New Horizons is built. In my sunrader I have signs of water leaks at my rear windows. After I had pulled the carpet up I found a very small amount of dry rot from those leaks on the floor. So it can be almost impossible to find any dry rot. Severe structure problems will show up in the alignment of exterior panels, maybe where the coach meets the truck or a panel that is wavy more so than others.

Greg