Truck A/C Question

TheLittlePuppy

Happy New Year Everyone!

Our a/c in the truck does not blow cold air. We have had it charged with freon, but it leaks out and only blows warm air. Wondering about changing over to the new refrigerant and what is a ballpark figure for doing that? We will need the a/c in the truck come spring, summer and fall as we travel with our dogs and they need cool air and we like that cool air too. Thought this might be a slow time to have this done so it will be ready for the road. Thanks for any info on this.

Hope everyone is either working on their Toy, traveling in their Toy, or wishing they could load up and hit the road and enjoy their Toy!

Dianne

Hello,

If you A/C compressor is currently leaking, converting to the new refrigerant is probably not

going to make it stop leaking. However, they do have a sealant product that works about 50%

of the time and am told lasts 2 to 4 years. I had this done with one of my cars about 5 years

ago, the coversion was about $125 and the sealant was about $20. It lasted for two years.

If the sealant does not work, you will probably be looking at a new or rebuilt compressor.

There are a number of rebuilt compressors on ebay, will probably need to contact the seller

to be sure that it will fit you truck, here are some current ebay items:

Dennis...

My experience with toyota trucks, ( I am a toyota tech for 19 years) is if you have a leak it probably will not be from the compressor.

The expansion valve which is in the evaporator case is a favourite place to leak on these. Best to get dye put in and they can check

with a black lite to see where leak is before you go replacing anything. If the freon leaks out real fast you may have a hose or condenser

with a leak, sometimes a stone will hit condenser and cause a leak. If its expansion valve a charge will generally last a year as it is a slow leak.

Hope this helps you Jim,