WATER PUMP RUNNING ON

gjewers

Just came back from another trip and now have another problem. (What else is new?) :( My water system seems to be working fine, however the pump won't shut off when the system builds up pressure. It will slow down but not shut down. Have a new battery so there is plenty of pump RPM. There doesn't seem to be any leaks in the system. And It seemed to work OK last time around. There is residual pressure in the lines after the pump is shut off (manually) but I don't know how much pressure is supposed to be in the lines. Is there a check valve that could be leaking somewhere back through the pump or does the pump have something internal in it to prevent backflow? Is this a common problem? Sorry I don't have the pump info at the moment. If it is needed for an intelligent answer I'll put it in next time. Thanks again. gj

The pump has a pressure switch in it that shuts it off when it's up to pressure. Does it sound like it is straining? Usually they slow down just before they turn off if there are no leaks or air in the system. I can't vouch for all of them but it's usually a small micro switch that can probably be replaced with out too much trouble.

I had a similar problem with mine once. I had bumped it and bent the posts where the wires hook onto the pressure switch causing the switch to be bypassed. I don't know if that is your problem but if its not that I would just take it apart and clean everything. The switch mechanism is pretty simple.