Hello,<br>I have an 85 Sunrader 22RE engine, auto trans.  I need to do some work on the exhaust around the converter in the spring, but another noise has emerged.  It sounds like exhaust, but sounds like it is coming from the engine and only from one cylinder.  It used to go away once the engine was warmed up, but now it just gets fainter.  I used to only hear it under load, but it is now faintly present at idle.  I had a 71 Chev. truck that sounded somewhat similar when I had to do the head gasket, I am obviously hoping that this is not the case here.  I have seen a lot of discussion of exhaust manifold or exhaust manifold gaskets.  Any ideas?<br>Thanks very much.<br>James<br>

Hello,<br>I have an 85 Sunrader 22RE engine, auto trans.  I need to do some work on the exhaust around the converter in the spring, but another noise has emerged.  It sounds like exhaust, but sounds like it is coming from the engine and only from one cylinder.  It used to go away once the engine was warmed up, but now it just gets fainter.  I used to only hear it under load, but it is now faintly present at idle.  I had a 71 Chev. truck that sounded somewhat similar when I had to do the head gasket, I am obviously hoping that this is not the case here.  I have seen a lot of discussion of exhaust manifold or exhaust manifold gaskets.  Any ideas?<br>Thanks very much.<br>James<br>

Have you checked the catalitic converter, mine had a noise that went away after warming up and it turned out to be a sloppy install on the converter a few quick welds and it was fixed.

Mr.Chris

Edited by Mr. Chris & Mrs.

Sounds to me like a loose bolt on the exhaust manifold. My '87 22re sounded like an exhaust leak in the engine compartment. I found the bolt closest to the cab was very loose, I was told I had a bad gasket or the manifold was cracked. But after doing some research it was actually just a lose bolt, but the stud is actually pulling out from the block or head. This is a common problem for older air cooled 2.7 liter Porsche engines for the heads as well. Well I tightened it up once and it got loose again, I tightened it again and so far so good.