HOW DO I GET OUT FRONT WINDOW GASKET?

gjewers

I have a leaky front window on the cab-over sleeper on an "88 Itasca. :thumbdown: I read thru the threads about sealing these windows but did not find a procedure to remove the rubber weather stripping that holds the window in the aluminum frame. I'm going to pull out the entire window and reseal with butyl tape but want to reseal the window itself as well as I am not sure just where the leak is. I've seen people reseal them with a piece of rope or cord but cant remember how they were taken out.

Also, I have a side window that slides open and the gasket weather stripping that fits on the lip of the window to seal the gap between the two sections of windows fell off an is gone. Any idea where to get replacement pieces or what to substitute with? :waaa:

I just finished "eterna-bonding" my entire roof. 3 vents, a bath skylight and a refridgerator vent. Took just shy of 100 ft. of 4" tape on my 21' rig. It had 3 side to side seems. I didn't over-do it but didn't skimp. So far one leak where the tape did not adhere well but taped over that and all seems fine. Wound up punching a few holes trying to remove old hard puty with scrapers but oh-well. Wire-wheeled all surfaces and cleaned with mineral spirits, then denatured alchohol and finaly an aluminum etching chemical by Jasco. Took the better part of 60 hours or more. Warmer weather is better. The tape surface does not stretch and is unforgiving aroung corners and angles. Some areas had to be pieced together. It was a big job but if it lasts as touted, was worth the effort....Just in case anyone wanted to know. :) gj

PS. I also just changed the leaf spring eye bushings and will submit info as to that job soon. My next task is rear frame reinforcement for a hitch mounted basket. All this and I've only owned the thing 4 months... :hyper:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I can't help you, but did have a couple of questions. I am about to buy an 89 Itasca Spirit and was wondering the same thing. Did yours come with manual? Have you figured out which brand of vents on yours, the Itasca I am getting needs one cover replaced but don't know which kind to get. Hope someone can help you out.

Sorry I can't help you, but did have a couple of questions. I am about to buy an 89 Itasca Spirit and was wondering the same thing. Did yours come with manual? Have you figured out which brand of vents on yours, the Itasca I am getting needs one cover replaced but don't know which kind to get. Hope someone can help you out.

All Winnebagos seem to use Winnebago specific accessories unless they have been changed out. My roof vents were from Winnebago and they are proud of their stuff and are expensive. (50.00$ ea.) You can search the net for winnebago and get on their site to find dealers of find one local if you live in an urban area. The main differences are the hinges. You can look up stuff on the net to find the differences and what style they are. Those after-market ones are much cheaper but will not fit. If you are going to replace the entire assembly, you can get one for the price of just the winny lid. All local RV parts house can ID them for you. To get the lid off mine, I had to punch out the roll pin on the crank handle bracket from the top side. Then the arm comes loose from the crank and you can slide it out of the lid. Not sure if they all work this way. Reverse to install. good luck

I did get a manual with mine but heard you may be able to get them from Winnebago.

Thanks for reply. I checked with Winnebago all they told me was they used four different ones. Great I have found three but not four. They also said I'd have to remove it to tell which one. No Winn dealers anywhere close but do have several RV dealers. With all the rain we have been getting here I rather have one on hand for quick change out than have it open for even a day. I'll try Winn about the manual. It appears this Itasca has several booklets on individual items but not on the whole coach.

Hello,

One way to fix old vent covers is to keep the one you have and cover it with a Maxx Air vent cover. They

cost about $25 and you can usually find a deal on ebay for two for $35 to $40. The Maxx Air cover screws

into the side of your existing vent frame (no holes into your roof) and it will allow you to always keep the

vent cover open, this will allow you to let the hot air out while crusing down the highway, will allow you to

keep the vent open during a heavy rainstorm, and while in winter storage it will allow moisture to escape.

Regarding the rope trick on your window, I have not done it on a RV but have done it several times on a

Toyota pickup truck. If the procedure is the same, to take the window out you just need to use your hands

and pick a spot one on the longest runs of the rubber seal. You should be able to peal the rubber seal out,

it may take you a few minutes to get it started, but only seconds to complete it. To get the window back

into the frame, you put the rubber gasket into the frame, then insert the window, then wrap the rope around

the frame so that the two ends meet at the top with about a foot extra rope. You then use your hands to

pull the seal around the window, you will probably be able to get about 3/4 of it done by hand, but will then

be too tight to continue. This is where the rope comes into play. You hold one end of the rope stationary

and then on about a 45 degree or so angle you start pulling on the other end of the rope, that is you pull

the rope away from the frame. This action will cause the rubber seal to lip over the glass as you pull it.

Also, you need to inspect the rubber seal, there is a good chance that the seal may need to be replaced,

especially since one removed it.

Hope this helps,

Dennis...

Thanks for reply. I checked with Winnebago all they told me was they used four different ones. Great I have found three but not four. They also said I'd have to remove it to tell which one. No Winn dealers anywhere close but do have several RV dealers. With all the rain we have been getting here I rather have one on hand for quick change out than have it open for even a day. I'll try Winn about the manual. It appears this Itasca has several booklets on individual items but not on the whole coach.

Learn something new everyday. I thought they just had one design. There should be a serial # molded into the underside of the vent lid. Good luck & stay dry.