Draining the tanks on an 85 Sunrader

jayemright

Greetings,

I have an 85 Sunrader. The last owner did not properly drain it last winter and I had to replace the taps and some of the lines that were damaged by being frozen. I want to avoid this this year. and want to drain the tank etc. I am just wondering how I go about draining the main tank so I can minimize the amount of anti-freeze that I have to put in. Is there a main drain for that tank somewhere? Any other tips for winterizing the water system?

Thanks

James

• 3 weeks later...
The drain for the fresh water tank is on the outside of the vehicle. There should also be a plug to drain the hot water tank too.

Thanks for your reply, Paul

My next question was going to be about the hot water heater. I have not seen any apparent drains on the outside of the vehicle, would it be underneath? I have looked down there, but haven't seen anything really apparent. Any clues as to what I am looking for and where it might be?

Thanks again,

James

Thanks for your reply, Paul

My next question was going to be about the hot water heater. I have not seen any apparent drains on the outside of the vehicle, would it be underneath? I have looked down there, but haven't seen anything really apparent. Any clues as to what I am looking for and where it might be?

Thanks again,

James

Open the same panel where you light the flame for the water heater. That's where the drain for mine is...although it's behind other plumbing and not so easy to get to. :headbonk::headbonk:

• 3 weeks later...

It wouldn't hurt to get a blow-out plug that attaches to your city water hookup. You then open the taps (one at a time , farthest one from fresh water tank 1st) , and when you apply compressed air to the blow-out plug , it will clear out any remaining water.

And/Or you can run PINK (make sure it is the PINK non-toxic one) RV and Marine antifreeze through the lines. This can be done by disconnecting the line from your fresh water holding tank and making a hose to fit the end of the line , and put the other end in the bottle of RV anti-freeze.

Being you are in Canada (not sure how far North , or how cold it gets where you are) , I would seriously consider doing at least one , if not both of these if you don't want to have to replace any more broken lines.

I have an '86 21' Sunrader. The drain for the main water tank is next to the tank under the couch and just before the water pump is connected. The valve opens by pulling it up. It takes a long time to drain.

JH SW Ohio

86 21' Sunrader, 22RE, auto