1978 chinook mpg

fisherman120

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 1978 chinook mpg not sure on the size but i think it is the smallest. It has about 87,000 miles on it. I would say for its age it is in really good shape. I got it for $800. :ThumbUp: I think i got a pretty good deal but I'm not sure. This is my first motorhome. It has a few problems but nothing serious. It runs good and gets good gas mileage. But i was wondering if anyone knows a good way to fix my roof. I think they let snow build up on the roof and it got pushed in. I have tried to push it back up but it just pops back down, and with the roof bubbled down the board for the bed will not store up there. Do I have to replace the roof to fix the problem? I also don't really know where the bed that comes off the roof goes for sure. I wish that it would have came with a book, because i am a little confused about just about all the appliances that came with it as well. I cant seem to get the heater to work it comes on but never blows heat . It stays cold and the propane was on and there is no pilot, is there a shut off valve somewhere other than the tank? Any questions that you could help me answer would be helpful. Thank you.

Ok i think i got the heater and other appliances figured out now and i replaced the carpet and re-did the upholestry on it looks real good now . But if anyone has any advise about the roof i could still us soom. Please any ideas would be greatly appreciated i really dont want to have to replace the roof, or know of where i would even find one.

Edited by fisherman120

I think there might be dry rot in your roof, which means yes-it has to be replaced. I am about to replace, well, everything in my RV, stripping it down to the chassis and replacing it all. You could tack in some wood slats to get the roof to not bend in, but you would only be prolonging the inevitable, i think.

Edited by Tundrawolf

I don't know if this will help but the top of my 77 Chinook is concave too. The water collects in a big puddle and it washes over the side when I start to move. I learned a valuable lesson, make sure your door is closed and your door window is closed or you get a free shower. Have fun with your Chinook.

thx for the info guys :) if you have any idea where i might be able to pick one up for a decent price let me know . Do you Guys think i got it for a good price ? I'll post some pics later when i get a chance. A friend of mine that works on campers for a living told me today that chinook's in good condition are going for about $5,000 right now or more. ?

I went to a RV dealer to look at thr solar charging system while I was talking to the salesman he told me it would cost over $35,000 to produce the Chinook at todays prices. The Chinook based on the toyota platform was only made from 1975 to 1978. I get more of a kick out of the attention the little rig gets more than anything else. You got a killer deal on your Chinook. The only recommendation I would make is that you stockpile as many parts as you can if you plan on keeping your Chinook. If you find a parts truck or Chinook and you can afford to buy and store it do it. I have been looking for a couple years but have not found one yet.

There is a Chinook that looks kinda dead in Hope BC in a driveway. If you are interested PM me and I will tell you where it is. I dont have and actual address or name or phone # so it will be a bit of a shot in the dark.

Tony

There is a Chinook that looks kinda dead in Hope BC in a driveway. If you are interested PM me and I will tell you where it is. I dont have and actual address or name or phone # so it will be a bit of a shot in the dark.

Tony

thx for the info but i live in Idaho so that would be a little bit of a drive for me :)