300 mile trip from Dyer, NV to Lucerne, CA

Tundrawolf

Hello!

I just got done taking the 395 from Dyer, NV to Lucerne Valley, CA in my 20' Dolphin.

I have the 5 lug :unsure: axle, so I was worried, but not worried enough not to make the trip.

I spent a lot of prep time, beings that this RV has been stored for many years by the ocean, and has not been moved more than a few feet in decades.

What I did was:

Changed the engine oil (I used a semisynthetic high mileage oil)

Changed the engine oil filter

Changed the air filter

Changed the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and wires

Checked the coolant

Changed the transmission oil (Used 1 quart of Lucas full synthetic, and the rest Lucas oil stabilizer)

Changed the differential oil (There were metal shavings when I changed it, despite the claims that the guy who sold it to me had said it was "A new one". I used all Lucas Oil Stabilizer in it)

Changed the wiper blades

Changed the headlights

I had to solder on a new ground on the driver side tail lights, it was literally corroded away. I had to do a lot of corrosion related soldering, and in the end I had my tail and turn lights, but only one marker light on the rear and none on the front. I didn't have the time to try and diagnose that problem, the wiring is in the walls and all.

It takes forever to get started, I suspect a vacuum leak, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, it did really well, I have a couple hundred punds of tools and gear and stuff I had to take with me, but it did very well, even over the hills.

I am glad I went with the understanding that it has a 4 cylinder engine, because over some of the hills I was in 2nd gear going 25 MPH.

The guy said the clutch was slipping-that is because the valvecover had 3 nuts on, all of which were hand-tight, allowing oil to leak behind the engine, and down onto the clutch.

Despite these problems, the vehicle managed to do 14.3 MPG, which is phenominal considering the hills I had to overcome on the way back. I did another mileage reading after the major hills and it said 30 MPG, however, I was really tired so I have to concede that there was some error involved, there.

It was really nice to be able to stop and use the bathroom inside the camper, and then stop and take a nap in the cabover.

I had an issue of a radiator hose bursting the final mile of my trip (Literally, less than a mile left), and since then I cannot go more than a few hundred feet before the engine overheats. I have replaced the hoses, the thermostat, and the pump, however it has been suggested I have a pinhole leak in the radiator-which is my theory.

It was a pleasure to drive, it did very well. I have a 1 ton full floating axle I am going to put in it as soon as I get a ball for my truck.

I have one question: The axle I have as a replacement for the 5 lug has a bunch of leaf springs, 2-3 times more than what is on the Dolphin. Should I use these extra leaf springs-will they do me any good with this motorhome, or should I just use the original ones?

Edited by Tundrawolf

Springs are good I would use the extra springs its heaver than you mite think the big deal with the 5 lug axel is it can not handle the extra weight . My 83 was upgraded back when the recall came out with a factory new axel it came with new springs The orignal owner had it done I got the paper work on it with the RV when I got it this summer . :rolleyes:

Thank you for that: I will use them. There are like, 8 or 9 springs on each side.

Anyway, a friend told me to check the heat of the axle and the transmission while I was driving, and I did...

The axle was suprrisingly cool to the touch, and the transmission only appeared to be heated from the engine (not hto at all), and the engien temperature was also surprisingly very cool. I was all in all very happy with the progress of everything.

Oh and BY THE WAY: If anyone int he High Desert wants a full-floating HD toyota Axle, i saw one yesterday (10/08/08) at the high desert pick a part off of Sky Base Road.. NOT the one off of I avenue, but the one in two sections.

It is on a toyota flatbed in the back of the second (rear) lot next to a most interesting Mitsubishi Arrow pickup truck. Someone took at least one of the covers off of the axle, but it should be readily repaired. I believe whole axle prices at that yard is $150, well worth the peace of mind.

Call them if you can (I don't know their #) because they junk stuff all the time to make room for new.

Oh and BY THE WAY: If anyone int he High Desert wants a full-floating HD toyota Axle, i saw one yesterday (10/08/08) at the high desert pick a part off of Sky Base Road.. NOT the one off of I avenue, but the one in two sections.

It is on a toyota flatbed in the back of the second (rear) lot next to a most interesting Mitsubishi Arrow pickup truck. Someone took at least one of the covers off of the axle, but it should be readily repaired. I believe whole axle prices at that yard is $150, well worth the peace of mind.

Also too GRAB THE SWAY BAR FOR THE ONE TON if you can. You'll need it.

My axle guy is in the process of trading out Sadie's 5 lug to the 6 lug dual 1 ton. (In my haste/ignorance, I didn't have the salvage place ship the sway bar when they shipped me the 1 ton rearend, brake lines and rims..... Honestly, I don't even really remember asking anything about a "sway bar"...... just adding that to the list of things I've learned on this project.)

The one ton sway bar is longer.

My Axle guy said he'll go ahead and put on the new rearened minus the sway bar, for now, since I'm flatlanding her in 2 weeks on a short trip to TX. But I'm now looking for a sway bar for the one ton.

(Some people collect stamps. Toy parts are way more exciting!)

shandamac