Out-of-state never smog checked Sunrader into California uncertainty, anyone with experience, help!!

lui

I'm looking at a 1984 22R (2.4L) 4 spd. 21' Sunrader for sale in North Dakota where there are no emissions laws (I live in California). The gentleman that is selling it said that since the RV has always been in North Dakota, he's never had to perform a smog check on it. He also added that he's cared for the camper and it shows from the pictures I've seen. Hence my questions:

Has anyone ever "imported" an RV similar or the same as this one to California?

I'd like to have an idea if this RV will pass the smog check necessary to complete the first-time registration here in California (I'm guessing it shouldn't be too difficult due to the engine's small size?) If the answer is uncertain, can anyone think of any parts that might be responsible for a failure to pass? I've read on other webpage's forums that the carburator tends to be the culprit for failed smog tests.

I've also read that legislation now requires that the gas tank be checked for any pressure loss (gasoline delivery system must be totally sealed). Has anyone run into any problems with this?

I'm thinking about flying over to N. Dakota to see it and probably buy it since it seems really well kept but I'd like to get as many opinions as I can before I invest in the $500 plane ticket. Thanks in advance! Lui.

Lui - I don't know if you got me message as I have never used that part of this site before. The short version of the message is that if the vehicle does not have the California emissions package on it from the factory, it will not pass smog in California. It sounds like the unit you are looking at probably does not have it. But you might want to go to a smog check station and ask them about it.

Regards,

Bill

• 8 months later...

Under the hood there should be a sticker. If it is built smog legal in California it will say so. I recently had the same concern when we bought our Gulfstream out of state. It does have the sticker and is ca smog approved. I asked the guy at DMV about the federal stickers and about getting them smoged in ca and he said there would be no problem even with those. Go to the Calif DMV site and do a search on bringing vehicles in from another state, your answers will be there.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking at a 1984 22R (2.4L) 4 spd. 21' Sunrader for sale in North Dakota where there are no emissions laws (I live in California). The gentleman that is selling it said that since the RV has always been in North Dakota, he's never had to perform a smog check on it. He also added that he's cared for the camper and it shows from the pictures I've seen. Hence my questions:

Has anyone ever "imported" an RV similar or the same as this one to California?

I'd like to have an idea if this RV will pass the smog check necessary to complete the first-time registration here in California (I'm guessing it shouldn't be too difficult due to the engine's small size?) If the answer is uncertain, can anyone think of any parts that might be responsible for a failure to pass? I've read on other webpage's forums that the carburator tends to be the culprit for failed smog tests.

I've also read that legislation now requires that the gas tank be checked for any pressure loss (gasoline delivery system must be totally sealed). Has anyone run into any problems with this?

I'm thinking about flying over to N. Dakota to see it and probably buy it since it seems really well kept but I'd like to get as many opinions as I can before I invest in the $500 plane ticket. Thanks in advance! Lui.

Lui... This is probably too late to help you on that rig now but I WILL POST IT FOR YOUR FUTURE INFO AND FOR OTHERS. i WAS LOOKING INTO IMPORTING A tOY FROM OUT OF STATE ALSO. i LIVE IN ca AND MY VERY KNOWLEAGABLE SMOG GUY SAID THAT IF THE RIG WAS FEDERALLY MADE, (WHICH MOST ARE AND THIS CAN BE DETECTED FROM THE VIN NUMBER), AND SO LONG AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT EXISTS ON THE VEHICHLE AND HAS NOT BEEN TAMPERED WITH, iT WILL PASS CA SMOG. There is a special CA smog law that allows for this. Hope this helps.