Better instrumentation.....

Terry

I am planning a long cross country trip from Alaska late fall next year. I drove my primo TOY up here from Riverside, CA two years ago. During that long trip I found some annoying problems with the 1992 Toyota Mini that I own.

One was lack of Tach and battery/oil temp and such. Where can I find quality instruments that will fit the TOY readily? Also....where might I purchase a awning for my TOY?

Are there many get togethers of TOY owners across the nation?

Thanks,

tcluther@gci.net

Anchorage, Alaska

I think you have a few options. Oil press, trans temp etc can be put in a door pillar gauge such as this one Pillar Gauge Pod

As for better in dash instrumentation I would call a few wrecking yards and see if I could find an instrument cluster with the tach. There might even be a digital cluster available. I know that my owners manual for my 86 shows a digital cluster with tach. Probably hard to find though. Should be a direct replacement, just plug and play.

Of course your other option for a tach is an after market. They work just as well if you are willing to have some of your instrument cluster blocked from view.

For trans temp gauge I reccomend getting a digital one. Much easier to read than the analog models. You will have to get all the parts together your self as there is no real kit. A brass tee with barbed fittings for your hose. One thing to be careful of is to make sure the sensor does not protrude into the oil stream and impede the flow. Any how JcWhittney has some good gauges for that and at a reasonable price. All the fittings should be available at a hardware or auto parts store.

I have one of the three gauge door pillar pods. I have very little room to mount gauges under the dash. The pillar mount is easy to see and safer to look at.

Greg