Filling Gas Tank

carvers2

I just purchased a 1984 Toyota Huntsman and am having great difficulty putting gas in it. it doesn't seem to be properly vented, causing the pump to shut off repeatedly during filling. At some stations, with newer pumps, I have not been able to put any gas in. I have to believe this is a common problem and someone out there has an answer for me. Thanks

• 6 months later...

I have a 1982 Sunrader, and occasionally run into a pump that keeps shutting off. Holding the nozzle upside down works for me as well. Check where the fill hose is connected to the tank and make sure there is no kink there. Hope this helps - by now I'm sure you have found a solution!

Bill

Hey carvers2

I was up under my toyota Itasca working on a feed off the gas tank to my gen.

I noticed that, at least on my 1988, the tank had a flange in the top back for a level sender, a flange in the mid area for fuel pump acess that had a pressure fitting/hose for fuel out and a low pressure fitting/ hose for the fuel return line. Then there was a 90 deg nipple fitting foward of that that was welded to the tank top skin. The vent hose.

I was able to see all of this with out lowering the tank. The vent hose ran up to a nipple fitting at the upper end of the fill neck.

If this vent line gets a kink in it your vent is toast, or more likely, if it has a swag... a downward running length... fuel can get trapped in the swag and be slow to pass air... kinda like a vapor trap on a sink... this line should run with an upward angle its full length...

Ps I made stair step drive on ramps out of 2x6 stock cut in shorter lengths to three high with a stop chock 4x4 nailed at the end, to be able to get under the bugger.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a 1984 Toyota Huntsman and am having great difficulty putting gas in it. it doesn't seem to be properly vented, causing the pump to shut off repeatedly during filling. At some stations, with newer pumps, I have not been able to put any gas in. I have to believe this is a common problem and someone out there has an answer for me. Thanks

You may have solved your problem by now but if not What I did is go under the vehicle and check to make sure there is a good slop to the gas tank. I had to bracket the 2 inch fuel line to get the slop I needed and in addition I am going to change my fuel line with a new line because it has a kink in it and thats stopping the free flow of fuel. tommy