Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I own a 1988 Toyota Dolphin (model 900, with 22re, and auto tranny) in fabulous condition.

I have read different topics on this subject. Maybe someone here is well informed and can offer some great input and answer this question for me:

In my original owners manual, it's say the Oxygen sensor will be replaced at 80,000 miles (parts and labor free). I live in California. I called the Toyota Customer 1(800)331-4331 number twice and they are meeting me with resistance about it. The first call said they would replace the sensor. The second call said they would not replace the sensor.

Is Toyota supposed to replace the Oxygen sensor after 80,000 miles free of parts and labor? If so, how do go about getting it properly accomplished free of charge and Toyota to honor what is printed in the manual?

Thanks,

Edited by DolphinRV

Howdy Dolphin...

When I was in the wrenching trade, I believe that the cutoff time on any warranty repairs was 10 years regardless of milage! If this is the case, two decades is kinda pushin' it.

Just my two cents worth...

A penny per decade...

go from there...

Pretty simple job probably would be easer to just replace it your self and be done with it. I might get some arguments but there is no reason you can not use the semi universal one with the crimp on wire you should be able to buy one for around $20 to fit the Toyota and it will take about 20 minutes to replace it. I assume it is bad? They do get lazy with age.

Hi Shoprat and Maineah,

Thanks for answering my post. The sensor is working. But as far as I know, it is the orignal sensor (past 80,000 miles). The manual said it is the be replaced at 80,000. No biggy for me to install the sensor.

A few of questions:

1) If I replaced the sensor with a new one, should I see an improvement on fuel milages?

And, my Dolphin id a 21 footer. The exhaust runs clear to the back of the Dolphin's rear bumper (one long tailpipe, whew!) Anyway, if I shorten the exhaust pipe to exit behind the rear tires and between the leaf spring (I've seen a few of them on the road with that setup), should that help the engine as well?

2) Sooooo, between the sensor and tailpipe shorting, would that help increase the fuel mileage?

3) Also, has anyone been/tired using the Flowmaster mufflers?

Thanks,

(please answer each question independantly)

If the sensor is bad yes it can affect mileage and a noticeable amount. Generally if they are bad they will throw a code and light the check engine light if you have a volt meter it is a simple check. D/C scale lowest setting check between the green sensor wire and ground once your engine is warmed up and idling . Your voltage should be very active ranging between 0 and 1 volt (generally around .2 to .8) if it hovers at one voltage and does not move much replace it.

OK your exhaust. At some point many states had a law that said your exhaust must exit the rear if people rode in the back it applied to pickups with caps, school buses and the likes. Most of that has changed but you might ask your inspection station if your state has inspections. Will it make a difference? Hard to say in theory it could but I doubt you would ever notice it (if nothing else it would be a lot cheaper to replace). Exhausts can make a difference, headers, no cats, flow thru mufflers personally I would not do it because I am not that much of a hurry and the mileage gains are minimal. I prefer the quieter side of the equation. Fuel economy begins with the right foot driving habits will increase your mileage more then any thing you could ever add to the MH.

I shortened my exhaust so that it exits in front of the left rear wheel. In the process I replaced the catalytic converter and muffler that was rusted out with take outs from smashed late model trucks (muffler from a Tundra and catalyst from a GM SUV) A muffler shop put it all together for me for less than $200 excluding parts and it is all stainless steel so it should last a long time.

Pretty much all the bigger stores carry Bosh they cost a little more but they are a good brand they have been making them for over 40 years.