1988 toyota, automatic 1 ton chasis 4 cyl. I am having a problem , after driving 20 -30 miles, if I stop and shut off the engine, I stand a 90% chance it will not turn over, until the engine is COLD. I have replaced: the starte, the alternator, the small starter relay (by the drivers left ankle) the belts, checked for cracked , corroded connections, loose,...nothing found. I am finding that my aux battery dies quickly, both batteries are brand new ! My Toyota dealer does not want to work on it..HHMM. In Maine, not many options. LESS than 40,000 original miles on this wonderful rig.....any suggestions or thoughts GREATLY appreciated. p10leadman@yahoo.com

:help:

Can you provide a little more information? Not turning over can mean a lot of things. Is it sounding like the starter is laboring to move the engine and it's just not going, are you just getting the clicking of the relays or are you getting nothing at all? How high is your engine temp getting when this problem happens?

The aux battery running down quickly may be related or may be a separate issue. What are the symtoms here? Is anything running in your cabin? Is it the correct type of battery for the application? Try disconnecting the aux battery and see if this solves the problem. The cabin 12v electrical is isolated from your engine electrical system until the ignition key is turned on. If your aux battery is bad or you have a short in your cabin, there could be enough of a draw placed on your main battery to keep the engine from starting while hot. If disconnecting your aux battery solves the problem, start by having the battery tested. Even a new batter can have a bad cell.

• 2 months later...