Interesting Winnebago

motoyhomme

Saw a port some where when he first started. He is using a Lexus V8 and Lexus automatic. Bet that was not cheap but I'll bet it will be worth it.

This was done by one of the members of the toyota-campers Yahoo group. He sold it on eBay about 8 months ago.

When he was talking about the project he seemed like he was up for doing this swap out for other people if they were interested.

The fuel economy on the engine swap was very near to what a 4 cyl would get. I'd have to dig back in the group to get the exact figures but it was impressive.

There was a sunrader in Montana for sale that had a 350 chevy swap back when I was looking for the sunrader I purchased last year.

A v-8 swap is a good alternative is you have a dead or tired engine. The additional HP and torque means that the engine does not need to work as hard and the gas mileage is no lower then what the original engine running full tilt would get.

I remember seeing this Lexus conversion last year when it was in progress. I think he had some problems with overheating and figuring a way to fit a large enough radiator. One picture from his post shows an electric fan mounted on a transmission cooler somewhere underneath, which tells me he had no room for it in front of the radiator. I too became interested in conversions after I saw his Lexus but I found the best way to go would be a Vortec 4.3L V-6 with matching auto trans. Toyota 4X4 rockcrawlers use these conversions often, lots of torque to power our campers up the hills, and Downey makes many bolt-in parts like larger radiators and motor mounts. There is a lot of info out there, including step-by-step manuals. There is also an outfit in Florida that specializes in S-10 and Blazer parts, with complete motor-trans packages with all wiring and computers still intact and prices well below $2000 for motors with mileages between 25,000 and 75,000. Check Ebay motors to see their listing. If I ever croak my 22RE or transmission I'll be looking for a Vortec conversion.