How to haul a kayak?

olddog22202

The plan is to get a 21' Dolphin and main use will be transporting me and a 13', 52 LB kayak to where ever. Is this a do-able thing? Is putting a rack on the roof dumb? Never had a RV so am floating blind here. Any plans or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Mc

Hello,

I built a canoe rack for my 1990 Odyssey.

Here are some pictures of it: www.tipton-in.com/canoe

I can give you some more detailed instructions on what I did if interested.

Dennis...

The plan is to get a 21' Dolphin and main use will be transporting me and a 13', 52 LB kayak to where ever. Is this a do-able thing? Is putting a rack on the roof dumb? Never had a RV so am floating blind here. Any plans or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Mc

Cool, I am in the same "Boat" ha ha, I have two Ocean Kayaks (13' and 15") and need to figure out how to cary them on the 1986 Sunrader. One thought I had but have yet to build would be to Attach Cross bars to the factory rack and then add Yakima rollers or HullRaiser? I too would like some feedback on this plan.

Dennis,

Pretty neat set up. I wonder if the Dolphin has a roof/under-pinnings to accept such a rack. Looks like you use water pipe? For strength? Is there a lot of extra drag/noise with the canoe up there? How difficult do you find it to get it up there?

I have hauled my kayak on a couple of shaped plastic cushions and strapped it down well. Rode like a champ on the car.

If you have more info to share I'm interested.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Yes, I used water pipe, it was easy to work with.

I do not even notice the canoe on the roof, and last summer while driving through

South Dakota, I was getting hit by 40mph wind gusts, canoe never moved, did not

make any noise, and still did not notice it on the roof.

I can get the canoe up and down by myself, it is pretty easy. I just rest one end of

the canoe on the ground and the other end on the side bar of the rack. I then get on

the roof and just slide the canoe up, as I lean on the canoe, this probably cuts the

weight in half. One I get it on the roof sideways, I just slide one end around until

it faced front/back.

I will send you my part list in a day or two.

Dennis...

Dennis

Thanks for the parts list offer. I'm anxious to scope out a Dolphin and see what is up there one can attach whatever to. I have several roof racks - car types - that might work too?

Mike

Hello Mike,

When I decided to go with a canoe rack, I was worried about putting any weight on the

middle of the roof, for fear of bowing the roof. What I ended up doing is laying down

eight foot decking boards (will not rot or warp) on the outside edges of the roof,

basically right above the RV's side walls. My thought would this is the strongest part

of the roof, and I knew I had something strong to screw into.

I will take measurements over the weekend and post them.

Dennis...