How much weight can the "cab over" hold?

vtchris

I have a 1991 Itasca 21' Toyota and am setting it up for Full Time travel. I want to properly distribute the weight and need to know how much I can store in the cab over. I have taken out the mattress and replaced it with a quality single bed mattress (not much difference in weigh), pulled toward the edge, there is quite a gap between it and front of cab and I would like to load it with heavy items. What do you guys think? How sturdy are these things? Thanks! Oh, just one medium weight person sleeping up there!

Hello VTCHRIS,

I do not think there are any official specs on the weight capacity of the bed over the cab, I know

mine will hold 400 pounds (me, wife, kid that crawled in during the night, and regular bed

mattress), however...that is with the RV not moving. I would be worried if you stored any

weight (more than 200 pounds?) up there full time, especially all the way forward, it could

cause some stress while driving down the road, especially bumpy roads.

Dennis...

Well I would say not to do it. The old owner of my 18 sunrader put alot of clothes and stuff way up to the front of the sleeper and drove around with it like that, it cracked the driver side down tube thing thats between the windsheld and door window, it was crushing the thing. Its welded now and he stopped doing it went he found out that it happend. But then again he broke the axle too and towed a bug with a 5 lug. My motorhome was thrashed!

• 1 month later...