toyota rv comparisons, other newbie questions

kturff

My wife and I are actively looking for a Toyota motorhome. So far we have only looked at one, a 93 Dolphin and might look at a Winnie Warrior. The Warrior looks a little nicer in the photos, but it is tough to tell.

Is there any good info on the differences between all the different models? Which ones are considered higher quality and more desired - or are they all so similar that the differences are minor. We want a "newer" model (90 or newer or so).

I have searched this site and others, and thus far have only found the following:

The Sunrader model seems most desired - is that because the all fiberglass construction is less prone to leaks? Any other reasons?

The Odyssey I have read is a little wider, taller and has a stronger roof than the others, as well as a bigger fridge. The shower looks like it is all fiberglass (the Dolphin we looked at was wallpaper).

Is there anywhere to find a written summary of each model? Is there any other insight that someone could give me?

Another couple of questions - How important would you say having a generator is? The Dolphin has an Onan generator, but the Warrior we may look at does not. I have never owned a motorhome, and plan to mostly camp in state parks with hookups. Do you need the generator to cool the back of the RV while travelling, or is the primary purpose to have the a/c on while sleeping while not in a park? If so, would a honda generator serve this purpose? I understand the honda an not be ran in the compartment.

I have seen a couple of rvs on this site with a canoe on the roof. This is absolutely critical to my future motorhome. Are there any models (besides the Odyssey with its stronger roof) that might be better or worse for mounting a rack? It seems again a Sunrader might do well with its all fiberglass roof?

Thanks for helping a hopefully future rv owner.

Kevin

Dolphin is better designed and built than Winnebago. Winny uses the cheapest of everything and design, fit and finish is the worst. This is not to say it won't be usable. If it has air bags. look at what and how their installed. Sunrader uses the heavy convoluted bags over the axle. My Dolphin had extra leaf springs from the factory and didn't need air bags.

Winny uses cheap retro fits Rube Goldberged in place.

Sunrader uses a premium ducted heater and remote start water heater. Winny uses tons of pressboard poorly stapled together. Look at how the roof joints are put together. Some forever leak.

My Dolphin had a removable horizontal propane tank set up that you could hook to a spare tank. The chassis mounted propane tanks slung low can rot in certain climates. My Winny tank is barely accessible.

Some things are personal preference. You have to RV for a good while to decide what you prefer. Some things are inexpensive to customize. I just changed the shower faucet on my Winny for $24 and it is so much better than the stock one. I changed the kitchen sink one to a high type to fill pans.

Good Luck.

I've only owned 2 Toyota RVs over the past 14 years, a 1981 diesel engine 17' mini cruiser and a 1991 V6 18' Sunrader and I still have both of them.

Last year when I went looking for a second Toyota RV I decided on getting a Sunrader made the last year they were in business (1991 v-6 shorty).

After using both for about a year I would say that I like the Sunrader a LOT and am glad that I took the time and found exactly what I wanted. I even went as far as to build a garage to store it in so that I would not have to go looking again in another decade or two.

I think the nicest thing about the Sunrader is the "cool factor"... It just looks so different from all the others that were made. I get more honks and thumbs up in it than in the diesel.

Thanks for the responses. I am surprised to hear about the Winnie and Dolphin comparison, but like I said I only saw the Winnie from photos, and saw the Dolphin up close. The photos looked like the Winnie might have better cabinets, shower, and the roof photo looked better than the Dolphin I looked at in person. But I guess photos can be deceptive. I may have to go take a second look at the Dolphin.

Any other insight? Thanks so much!

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

You will find some Odyssey information located at: http://www.tipton-in.com/toyota

I have had my Odyssey for 3 years and it is my first. I made a canoe rack which I had

for two years, used it on a trip to Yellowstone and back (Indiana) and this year to Minnesota.

Regarding the Sunraders, I do not know how their roof construction is like or how/where to

drill into it to mount a roof rack, or how solid the roof is.

The roof on the Odyssey is solid, I weigh 230 and there is no give to the roof when you walk

on it, and recently I met another Odyssey owner and both of us was on the roof and it was

still solid. The Odyssey has an aluminum roof and I can see the support beams, looks like

a square frame with cross beams every 24 or so inches.

Regarding the canoe rank, I used water/gas pipe to construct a square frame that is basically

7 feet by 7 feet. I used composite decking board (does not rot or warp) to mount the rack to.

I bolted two pipe footing mounts (round mounts that the pipe screws into) to each end of the

decking boards, then I layed the deck boards to the outside edge of the roof, and put in three

1/4 inch wood bolts, which broke through the ceiling by about 1/4 inch in the cabinets.

These screws are basically to keep the rack from moving, but not strong enough to keep

the canoe secure while driving, which is why I use tie down straps on both the front and

back on the canoe. On the front, you can tie down to the front bumper tow hooks. On

the back you can tie down to the rear bumper.

Some pics on the canoe rack are: http://www.tipton-in.com/canoe

Regarding the need for a generator, if you plan on staying at parks with hookups,

you probably do not need a generator unless you plan on being in very hot areas (AZ).

The A/C in the truck should do a good job on cooling down cab area. Also, you want to

go with some Maxx Air roof vents which will allow you to keep the roof vents open while

you travel, and a fantastic fan roof vent fan will also help greatly. Another option is to

install an ossillilating fan(s) in the coach area. I have the Maxx Air vents and the

ossillilating fan which works well.

Good luck on your search...

Dennis...

Thanks Dennis -I looked at the pictures of the rack you made - that is exactly the kind of info I need.

The issue with the a/c is this: There are three of us, so one person will need to ride in the back. I have heard from some that the cab air may cool down the back as well. Sounds like the Maxx Air vent might do well.

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

In the pictures it shows two tie down straps on the front and back, all you will need is

one in the front and back. Also, I put U-Bolts (upside down) on the rack on each side

of the canoe so that the canoe cannot move left or right and it ensures that I put the

canoe back in the same spot each time.

The canoe in the picture is an 17 foot aluminum, and I can load and unload it myself.

From the ground, you raise one end of the canoe up lean it on the side bar of the rack

and push it up so that about 2 to 3 feet of the canoe is above the rack. Then get up on

the roof and just pull the canoe up, I pull it up another 2 to 3 feet in which it is still

touching the ground and push my weight down on it (like a teter tottler (sp) which

lifts the other part of the canoe off the ground, once level, I slide the canoe sideways

across to the other side bar of the rack. Then slide it into place one end at a time.

Since the canoe is always resting on one or more bars, the weight of the canoe is

reduced by 50% to 90%. I just do the reverse to get it to the ground.

If I had to build another canoe rack, I would put another bar across the front, since

all the pressue (wind/air force) is on the front. Since my rack was already built and

in place, I put a heavy gauge wire across the front to give it a little more bracing

to prevent any bowing on the front part of the rack.

Dennis...

• 3 months later...