Water pump problems

Hello,

Picked-up my 1987 Sunrader coach Friday.Previous owner's only had it for 3 months and did not use the coach. Advertised as ready to go:however,mentioned a water pump problem.Then when I used city hook-up on sat. I got a wet carpet,.First down by refrig(gravity) then all over the walkway. Someone mentioned the coach could still be winterized.I did not see any open lines or hoses. The water pump has it's own little cupboard below the sink .The water pump turns on ,but did not pull from the clean water tank.Also checked the H2O heater and"opened" it up.When filling that water flowed out.Not sure If leaking or over-presserized. Good new is fridge works,oven/stove lite,then ran out of propane. :unsure:

Have a big learning curve and looking forward to getting down the road.

Debolynn

Edited by Debolynn

• 2 weeks later...

\quote name='Debolynn' date='Jun 30 2008, 08:12 PM' post='5430']

Hello,

Picked-up my 1987 Sunrader coach Friday.Previous owner's only had it for 3 months and did not use the coach. Advertised as ready to go:however,mentioned a water pump problem.Then when I used city hook-up on sat. I got a wet carpet,.First down by refrig(gravity) then all over the walkway. Someone mentioned the coach could still be winterized.I did not see any open lines or hoses. The water pump has it's own little cupboard below the sink .The water pump turns on ,but did not pull from the clean water tank.Also checked the H2O heater and"opened" it up.When filling that water flowed out.Not sure If leaking or over-presserized. Good new is fridge works,oven/stove lite,then ran out of propane. :unsure:

Have a big learning curve and looking forward to getting down the road.

Debolynn

Hi Debolynn and welcome,

I just got back from a two week trip in my Sunrader so you may already have solved your water crisis but here goes my two cents:

1) Check to make sure your little in-line plastic valves are closed. I have one near the water tank and 2 in the rear under the sink area.

2) Sometimes the outside water source is or has been over pressurized for your plastic lines and may have ruptured a line. This water input line is separate from the water pump and tank circuit. I have a regulator that I hook between the outside hose and the connection on the outside of the camper that keeps the pressure regulated to 30psi. Also when filling the fresh water tank try not to overfill it.

3) I had a water pump go out. It ran but would not pull water. I had to replace it, easy job. When hooked to an outside source for water you don't have to use the pump.

4) I'm assuming that you opened the drain valve on the water heater and water flowed out while filling the system, that would be normal.

With a new pump installed, all water valves closed, tank filled, and the pump turned on, it should not run after it initially pressurizes the system, if it does run constantly you have a major water leak. If it comes on and off without opening any valve. you have a slight leak. If the pump only runs whenever you open a valve you should be okay. However if you still wet the carpet when hooked to city water, you have a ruptured input line.

Allen

Thank-you Allen.

I fixed some leaks by my drain values .And replaced my H2o pump,prev. was rusted ):. The leak seems to be in the fresh water tank! I put towels all around the tank and input area when filling the freah water tank. No leaks from input.The door-entry way step area in the unit has rotted from this leak over time and this fills up when fresh water tank is filled and the carpet in the walk way get's wet. So we have removed rotton wood ect.. Not sealing up door-area till tank replaced or fixed? Can these tanks be sealed or would it be better to replace? My tank fits between rear wheel and goes under stove,behind fuse box.

How do you clean and polish your Sunrader fiberglass exterior.?

Can these tanks be sealed or would it be better to replace? My tank fits between rear wheel and goes under stove,behind fuse box.

How do you clean and polish your Sunrader fiberglass exterior.?

Hi Debolynn,

These tanks can be repaired. There are patch kits available from RV stores and maybe hardware stores. My tank also leaks when I am filling it, but only if I fill it completely. I decided instead of fixing or replacing (at this time) that I would only fill it between 3/4 and Full and it works, no spills. I believe that someone on this forum has repaired their tank before. I read it a long time ago.

Cleaning and polishing is a sore point with me. I found a concentrated cleaner available at Wal-Mart automotive section that will clean anything especially if used at full strength. I spray some of it on an area and then wipe with rag or sponge, etc then rinse. It will clean fiberglass, it may take paint off of oxidized aluminum panels though. It comes in a gallon purple container and it's not Purple Power, The shine is the hardest part. Once the Gel-Coat has weathered it is extremely hard to shine again. I have used car polish and wax to no avail. Gel Gloss and 3-M fiberglass cleaner doesn't seem to do anything, but soak in and disappear. I have managed to get one spot to shine and that was by wet-sanding an area with 2000 grit sandpaper then polishing it with polishing compound followed by wax. But that's when I discovered that my micro mini motorhome is huge when looking at all of the surface area that needs shined. When I have the time I'll do another spot. Heck, I even tried Mop and Glow and it didn't work the Gel Coat was just too far oxidized to shine without a lot of work.

Allen