I recently purchased a Jacobs Electronics FC-1000 ignition system, C-4 coil and secondary trigger for use on my 1985 Toyota motorhome with a 22REC engine. Though the installation instructions seemed to be very straightforward, I could not get it to work. After 3 unfruitful calls to their tech support, I sent the whole thing back to Summit for replacement. Summit was super-responsive (as usual) and I soon had a new system. I reinstalled it with the same results--the engine runs fine with the stock ignition but won't run with the Jacobs system. I have been doing my own mechanical work since 1971 but this thing has me frustrated to tears--and it should be very simple according to the installation instructions. Has anyone out there had experience with this system that might lead me in the right direction? Maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious??

Hello, I have only put in an Electronic ignition system on motorcycles, but will ask a few questions

in hopes it might get you closer to the solution.

Are you splicing the FC-1000 in, or are you using a harness adaptor?

Dennis...

Hey, Dennis--Thanks for the reply!! According to the instructions, no splicing is required when using the secondary trigger. You simply run the red and black wires from the FC1000 and secondary trigger to the positive and negative poles of the battery, respectively. Then you run the red from the FC1000 to the red of the secondary trigger and the green from the FC1000 to the green of the secondary trigger and the white and black from the FC1000 to the + and - of the C-4 coil. Finally, you run a "coil" wire from the stock coil to the secondary trigger and and another "coil" wire from the C-4 coil to the stock distributor. It seems pretty straightforward to me--and I've checked and double-checked it a dozen times--but no luck yet.

Since you are on your second set of coils and Jacobs Electronic ignition, the odds are that they are working okay. On the extra coil wire and battery wires that you need, does both come with the kit

or did you buy them seperately? If seperately, maybe the second coil wire is bad or there is a crack

in one of the wires. You should be able to test the wires with a meter. Regarding the second coil wire, you should be able to test it on your original coil under the Toyota original setup (without the Jacob parts attached).

Also, with the Jacobs parts in place, does your engine turn over okay? Is any of the cylinders firing?

Dennis...

Hey Dennis,

The coil wires do not come with the ignition system--only the terminal connectors. I have tried 3 different wires from the OEM coil to the secondary trigger--with the same negative results. I know for sure that the wire from the C-4 coil to the distributor is good because it is the stock wire and the engine runs fine when I use it in the stock configuration. The engine doesn't fire at all with the Jacobs syatem. Yesterday, a buddy (who is a very good mechanic) came over to help me with it and he held the coil wire from the C-4 coil near engine ground while I cranked the engine---nothing. Before that, I had him check the wiring against the instructions, with no input from me, and he said it was wired exactly according to the instructions. He believes (and I'm becoming increasingly convinced) that this ignition system is simply incompatible with the stock system. I asked one of the tech support guys from Jacobs about possible incompatibilities and he replied (with a generous measure of sarcasm), "Sir, there are thousands of Toyotas running our ignitions out there." I'm sure that's true but this one sure doesn't want to. I'm getting real close to just returning it to Summit for a refund. I really appreciate your interest and help with this problem--Rod