Well I have been ironing out the bugs in my 83 dolphin...

after driving it about 100 miles or so... and putting some fuel system cleaner in it...

I am experiencing some fuel cutoff intermittently and the vehicle loses power, lurches and sometimes stalls out alltogether...

letting it cool down or re-starting it sometimes remedies the problem...

I am afraid that I may be experiencing the dreaded "gas tank sat too long problem"

I would like to know what you toyhouse veterans think?

is it possible a new filter could solve the problem?

or should i put in a new fuel pump and filter?

OR... do i need a new tank?

its always something...

:help:

If the tank is pulled to flush it properly, the pump unit has to come out to get all the crud out of the tank. Seeing as how the crap went through the pump to get to the filter and partially plug the filter, I'd go with replacing both while you had it apart. Trying to save some bucks may get you stopped on the road facing an extreme towing/parts/repair bill. Replacing the pump/filter now allows you to decide when it's done, at your convience. A vehicle road kill is not a pleasant experience when you do not know the abilities of the fella doing the repairs. Flush the system and replace the pump/filter as insurance.

John

Does your engine have a mechanically driven fuel pump (on the engine) or does it have an in-tank electric pump?

ok from what toyota said using my VIN number, i do have the engine mounted fuel pump.

toyota seemed to think i have a leak in my fuel hose on top of the tank... leaking air into the system...

i was told to do a fuel pressure test on the lines to make sure...

a buddy looked at the fuel tank and told me it was wet!...

Toyota said that the OLD hose usually gets a hole above the tank.

things may be coming into focus with fixing this thing.