Big Sur

Gulfstream Greg

Recently went on a short trip to Fernwood RV resort in Big Sur California. Just about 2 hours from here. Its a nice place but was very dusty. The site we had was ok, but right next to us on the second day a huge trailer moved in and on the other side of that was a huge bus rv. Our little sunrader was dwarfed. The river there is very nice with a beach. Kids loved tubing and splashing.

Here is a pic of a bridge on Hiway 1 that is spectacular.

gallery_1_86_194938.jpg

My guess its 400 feet high.

Here is an albino redwood. Have to say I have never seen one of those.

gallery_1_86_449350.jpg

Here is a view from our spot looking at the river.

gallery_1_86_236101.jpg

POISEN OAK, beauiful heh?

gallery_1_86_346993.jpg

Another view of the river

gallery_1_86_5479.jpg

All in all it was a nice trip except for the dust factor.

Here is a link to the park Fernwood

Here is a link to Big Sur Big Sur Camping

• 2 years later...

I used to live on the other side of Mt. Madonna in Gilroy which is just over the hill and inland from Watsonville, I have read a few posts on the Big Sur trips and might add a few nearby points of interest. There is a restaurant there called "Nepenthe" or something of the sort and it has a neat little hippy gift shop below, this is near the top of Big Sur. On a clear day it is a nice place to have lunch and take in some amazing views. of course 17 mile drive is something to see at Pebble Beach as well as Carmel, nice beaches to stop at near the bottom of the 17 mile drive. I do not think there is any overnight action, but a must see. Aptos is a nice mellow little beach community closer to Santa Cruz (which also has a boardwalk by the way), nice restaurants and shops as well as beaches.

I did want to mention "Bonfante Gardens" or at least that is what is was called 4-5 years ago. The owner of "Nob Hill" food chains had slowly built this park over the years in a 50's disneylandish garden style. Kind of a throw back walk in the park with many plants and flowers and some rides. The place was intended for small children or adults, not so much for the teenage thrill ride seekers. I had a season pass for a couple years before we moved to the NW, and it is one place I really miss. The smell of the cedar bridge. The giant enclosed garden reminded me of the smell in Hawaii and rare fragrant plants. At the time it was very affordable, not a profit generating machine, but a nice experience. This may have changed since I heard the city may tried to cost him out of the place.

Needless to say there is a lot to see and visit in the part of California and I did not even mention much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

now i know another reason you have to plan ahead years to stay there, maybe a little exageration. i knew a few rv'ers who went there annually.

I think it's really hard to get in. You have to do it online and they all sell out within a few mins. Allot of state parks and federal parks are that way now. I remember the days when you could just drive to yosemite and get a space, but no more.