Gray Water Holding Tank Sensor Problem

ToAsT

This "new to me" 1991/92 Itasca (Winne) Spirit has an issue with the Gray Water Holding Tank Sensor (Tank 2 on the display). It reads 3/4 full, even after being completely emptied. A search of this wonderful forum did not yield any prior post on this subject.

Does anyone have experience working with and/or solving this problem?

I've been having the same (intermittant) problem with my '86 Winnie.

I see the RV store sells something you add to the holding tank that's supposed to clean the sensors.

I think I am going to give that a shot. Does anyone know how well this stuff works ?

Googling the problem brought me to similar suggestions of the sensor cleaner solution, or using vinegar, or in the case of the issue occurring in the black water tank - using digesting chemicals or spraying wands. Also, some recommend loading the tank with ice cubes and going for a drive. The idea is to help loosen up any material that might be sticking to the sensor - for gray water someone suggested it might be a celery fiber - and ofcourse for the black water tank the likely causes of blockages are less savory but apparently much more common as far as sensor problems go.

I did contact Winnebego on this problem, and they provided two sets of schematics in pdf format, which I will attach here. Please keep in mind they are for the 1991/92 Itasca Spirit Toyota platform, but likely apply to other models as well. They also had these comments:

"The probes are screwed into the side of the holding tank. You should be able to gain access in the dump valve area. The probes will have the wires identified on the diagram we provided connected to them. The probes can be removed and cleaned, or they may be replaced. Replacement parts are available through your Winnebago dealer."

I will post again if I have any success with the problem.

Best of luck with your sensor issues!

100084L.pdf

089062A.V01.pdf

I have a 92 itasca spirit which is the same as a winnie warrior, I have a similiar issue. I have been traveling in my regulanary now for 3 months. Both of my holding tank indicators are unreliable. First, the black tank was good now neither are.

As for the "celery" theory, I suspose that could happen. I wonder of those sensors are just grounds which might explain the unreliablity.

We just keep an "eye" on it. The gray water backs up into the shower so it is not a disaster if it fills. The shower will gurgle beofre it backs up.

The black water could be a problem - you can see it backing up if you look down regulary. I can tell more by just how many days how many people. I do not use it at all except when absolutely neccessary. My better half thinks it is the greatest thing in the world.

My data sheets state that all 3 tanks (fresh.gray/black) are 14 gallons, hence starting with a full water tank makes it unlikely that one could overfill the gray/black as long as filling/dumping is synchronized.

This thing is really a "weekender".