Putting roof racks on a Sunrader

jayemright

Hello,

We have recently acquired an 85 Sunrader, and are working the bugs out before a trip to Newfoundland next month. . We would like to haul a Kayak, and would also like to store the spare tire on the roof behind the AC unit, as it is currently just strapped on a box that is mounted on the rear bumper. The last thing I want to do is to cause leaks in the currently pristine shell, but I would like to haul our boats and have the spare in a place where it is not in my way all the time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, is the floor on a Sunrader fiberglass as well? Just curious. It's covered in carpet on one side and a plastic covering on the other.

Thanks very much,

James

post-1510-1212447861_thumb.jpg

Thats a very good question, I put a 3' x 3' solar panel on the top of mine, but I have it all down to the fiberglass shell, I ran 4 bolts thur from the inside with bondo on it to sorta seal it, then bondoed the over it (on the inside), then laied fiberglassed over it. so it will very leak, I think thats really the only way to be sure it won't every leak. You could cut a small hole in the paneling on the inside were your screw or bolt comes thur and just bondo it. Other then that, I would say use that roof sealent and hope for no leaks.

Haha you got that off of ebay didn't you...

Hey well you may have alot bigger problem, take off one of the rear hub caps and look at the wheel, does it have 5 lug nuts on the outside wheel and 5 lugs on the inside? or 6 lug inside and out? If it has 5 lugs, you have a recalled axle that WILL break on you sooner or later, probably soon on a 21 fter.

Oh and I wouldn't put the spare on the roof, thats alot of weight. And the floor is ply wood with fiberglass over it only 6'' to 1' of so from the edge of the walls in, the rest is just ply wood.

and have the spare in a place where it is not in my way all the time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Did you look under the chassis to see if the spare tire holder is still there? It's located immediately behind the axle. That is where I carry the spare for my Sunrader.

Allen

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did get that on e-bay, but I checked first to make sure it had the six-lug full floating axle. It looks newer than everything else under there so it must have been recalled. Any creative suggestions re. where to stow the tire? I would prefer to put bikes on the back instead of the tire.

Thanks

James

Thanks again, Allen. It seems you were writing your reply at the same time as I was. I will get under there see what is available for space. It's not like I'll be driving it in the winter much, and if the floor is wood, if the space is there, it wouldn't be hard to fasten some long bolts to it to hold the spare, if it is not already equipped for it.

Have a good one,

James

Thanks again, Allen. It seems you were writing your reply at the same time as I was. I will get under there see what is available for space. It's not like I'll be driving it in the winter much, and if the floor is wood, if the space is there, it wouldn't be hard to fasten some long bolts to it to hold the spare, if it is not already equipped for it.

Have a good one,

James

[The spair tire holder on our 89 Winne is also at the back under and along side the black water holding tank, the best place for it I think, before our trip down into Mexico I did check it out to make sure everthing worked OK, I srayed WD40 on the chain, and made one change, I shortened the long steel rod used for cranking it up and down and welded a short 1/2 drive extension to the rod, so now I can use my 1/2 drive rachet to raise and lower the spair, works like a dream.

hope this helps Mike