1987 Winnebago 86k 22RE 4cyl for 4K...a good deal?

toyotavan

Hey everyone. First of all, thanks for the great forum.

We may have found our MH. We were trying to bide out time, but now the sight of a possible no cash out -- trade deal has got us excited.

It's a 1987 Toyota Winnebago, Auto, AC 22RE 4cyl, 86,000 miles, 6 lug rear & recent, good tires.

No generator, a minimal floor plan with bathroom in back, bed/nook & sleeper attic, looks to be 20-22ft?

I would be trading them even up for a 1997 Tacoma Ext Cab, worth about $4k. It this a good deal? The drivetrain is supposed to be tops, but external cosmetics are fair and the interior is probably average at best.

This is the ribbed (aluminum) material, not the flat panel construction. Will a 1987 Winnebago be a money pit to keep up folks? From what I read leaks and concealed damage seem to be more than likely.

We don't have allot of dough or time to spend on it. Just like the idea of having lower maintainance RV, that we can sleep in once in a while.

The 22RE is cool.

The plain 87 Winnebago interior looks less comfortable than some to me??

Best to all, toyotavan

If you are not familiar with RVs I would suggest that you take it to an RV shop and have them do a through inspection so that you know what you will have to spend to get it in serviceable condition. Unless it has been stored inside or under cover it can have serious issues that may not be visible to the inexperienced eye. Paying a little up front for a complete review of everything will save you lots of $$$ in the long run. The worst thing that can be done is for the unit to have sat for a long period of time outside in the elements.

Also have it checked out mechanically by someone familiar with Toyota trucks (dealer of independent service shop specializing in Toyota).

Once you know what you are getting into you can then know if it is worth trading away your pickup for it and you can adjust the price/trade accordingly.

A coach that old run the full gambit from WOW to OH NO.....

Owning an RV is about the same as owning a boat or airplane. It takes a fair amount of maintenance to keep it in serviceable condition even if you never use it. Keep this in mind.

Hey Diesel Mike, Thanks for all of that great advice. Good common sense stuff. Of course common sense is not so common, especially while we're car shopping!

One of the great luxuries of these vehicles is the solid reliability of the cab & drive-train. I feel even more confident about the 22RE 4cyl than the 3L V6.

It's only got 86k miles , but if the interior's run down & there is a soft or so, do you think the value would be under $3k? I'm a bit jaded to the upside from looking on the Bay.

I ask because our trade 1997 Tacoma Ext Cab isn't perfect either and we may only be able to sell our truck for $3500 or so. We're spoiled as the Tacoma Ext Cab 2WD was very cheap to own and had little to none depreciation in 4 years!

Seems like prices are cranking on eBay, but I know this Winnie is a bit shorter, cheaper & more spartan than a full Dolphin or SunRader but that seems right for us as we don't plan on utilizing all of the RV equipment (we may want to do a toyhauler Mirage door type mod). I guess I'd be more afraid to sink the $9K - 20k into a low miles Sunrader I guess -- what a maintenance responsibility that must be.

I'll be looking at this 87 Winnie soon like this weekend or early week. Perhaps I may own soon as well.

Thanks to all, toyotavan

Hi Toyotavan and welcome to the forum !

For what it's worth , I bought a 86 Winnie with the 22-RE engine last year. It had 43,000 on it and I paid $4800 for it. The person I bought it from did some wordwork above the upper bunk. I think he tried to either conceal or repair some water damage. It still leaked after I got it , but I replaced the vent above the bunk and sealed it up with some butyl tape. I also sealed over the "seam" in the roof with special tape I got at home depot that was made for metal roofs and later sealed all around the vents and seams with some lap sealant (available at RV stores). NO more leaks !!

I had to put an alternator on it shortly after I got it (it kept eating belts on the way home !) but I think that was due to the fact that this had been sitting for some time , to my understanding. So I upgraded to a heavy duty 160 amp alternator. Other than that , I haven't had to do anything to the engine and I have over 51,000 on it now (I put about 8000 miles on it in the last year !). As you probably know , these 22-R and 22-RE engines are practically bulletproof. I have heard them described as "the best darn internal cumbustion engine EVER built" ! I don't think you can go wrong with that engine as long as it had (even somewhat) regular maintainance. At 86,000 that engine is probably just broken in. I talked to someone who has about 110,000 on theirs and he said it runs better than it ever did ! I also spoke to someone who had a V-6 and he said this is his 3rd Toy MH. He said his last one had the 22-RE engine in it , and he had 304,000 on it when he sold it , and it still ran decent (for that many miles). He said he used Castrol and changed it every 3000 or less. I have been using Castrol and changing mine every 2500 or so , and I expect mine to run a LONG time.

As far as the coach , I've had to do some things , but this is normal from what I understand. I am still working on getting my water heater functioning properly , and the fridge still doesn't work , but I am either going to install a dorm fridge and run it off an inverter (and maybe install a solar panel as well) , or convert it it a marine compressor driven unit (that runs off 12 volt DC). The only reason I haven't done so yet , is I am not in that big a hurry , as I just use an ice cooler for the mean time. It suits my needs quite well , but I do plan on working fridge in the near future.

All in all I am VERY happy with my purchase and these little campers are a LOT of fun and perfect in size for a couple of people , like me and my GF. I'm sure you could easily bring along a child or 2 , or even a 3rd adult if you needed to as well.

Bottom line , I doubt you will have much problems with the 22-RE. You may (or will eventually) have to do some maintainance and repairs in the coach. I believe this is normal , especially when dealing with an older RV. Just like was said earlier , owning a used RV , boat or airplane requires regular maintainance , and repairs. Just keep that in mind and keep us posted on how you made out !

these 22-R and 22-RE engines are practically bulletproof. I have heard them described as "the best darn internal cumbustion engine EVER built" ! I don't think you can go wrong with that engine as long as it had (even somewhat) regular maintainance. At 86,000 that engine is probably just broken in. I talked to someone who has about 110,000 on theirs and he said it runs better than it ever did !

Chairman Meow has not only crystallized my thoughts eloquently...

But he has nearly described my 83 dolphin.... : nearing 110,000, running TREMENDOUSLY well, and also needing some interior tlc...

if you get a chance to get one of these Fun-Factories-On-Wheels on a no cash trade and dont... you will forever kick yourself.

just make sure that you are willing to do the necessary maintenance for as long as you plan on owning it.

Hi TVan - welcome to the club.

These guys know thier stuff. You're in for a real treat, and maybe the obsession of a lifetime. I'm totally infatuated with my little '81 Sunrader.

Have Fun and Prosper,

shandamac

tvan

We own an 89 dolphin. Bought it 6yrs ago for $11k, it had 35k mi. We love it, it has the V6. I've done all my own repairs. Replaced rusted rear bumper, suspension air bags, house battery selenoid, roof vent, installed tv antenna,ect. The lady we bought it from cried as we purchased it. I have a feeling the rise in gas prices will affect re-sale prices. Check out the recent increase of GEO Metros.

Good luck, Randy