Swapping Propane Tanks: WHAT DO I NEED?

while camping out last weekend...

we tried to use the propane on the dolphin and we could hear gas leaking out at the main valve.... so we cranked it down tight and put it back in the compartment...

better safe than sorry, and i believe the unit is probably outdated and needs upgraded... any advice?

anybody want to give me some advice:

1. Where do I shop for a new Tank?

2. What hardware/Parts do I need to make sure to get?

3. Can I install it myself or do I need to get a Pro?

thanks for your replies and advice guys...

A few things...

If you do need a new tank, be sure to get the right type, if your tank laid down on its side, it

is a horizontal tank. If you need a horizontal tank and get a vertical tank and lay it on its side,

you make have problem with the safety valve, since it is not designed to operate on its side.

You should try to get your tank at an RV store, one place to try is Camperworld.

Also, before you throw your old tank away, take it to a propane store, not a place that just

refuels them, but one of the larger propane service stores, they will be able to inspect your

current tank, make some repairs, and even re-certify it (good for 5 years). I will be taking

my 1990 tank to a place in Kokomo Indiana that will re-certify my tank for $18, which is a lot

cheaper than buying a new 30lb Horizontal tank.

Dennis...

Johnny,

Try this website:

www.go-rv.com

They have a catalog and will tell you places to shop for anything for the rv, they directed me to a local Camping World. Propane tanks are on page 337. The horizontal compartment tank is around $232 each. If you can get your tank repaired it is a lot cheaper to go that route. The new updated tanks require you to have a new pigtail hose. Attached is a picture of my new two 20 lb horizontal compartment tanks. They are not the vertical type lying on their side. I managed to buy mine last year from a place in the Northwest called Bi-Lo for about $90 each plus about $15 each shipping. However Bi-Lo shut down their on-line store.

Allen

post-481-1211895047_thumb.jpg

thanks guys that helps alot...

these Toyotas are more fun than i can convey in words to most people...

I have to get the propane system working to start troubleshooting everything...

even without use of my stove/oven/fridge/furnace/waterheater/pump/toilet....

I have already had a blast camping in my dolphin which is halfway closed for renovations...

(the cab-over is going through a re-frame and re-panel... now that i have the leaks stopped...)

I just dont know how long my landlord will allow me to work on my rv in the parking lot... especially since i went in the hole buying the dolphin and im late on rent!!!!

(hey i saw a window of opportunity and i JUMPED!)

I may be either getting really intimate with my dolphin and selling alot of house furniture... or being forced to dare i say: SELL THE DOLPHIN *Gasp*

its hard to be a visual artist in the new millenium people...

You should not have to remove the tank to use it if you have the proper tank for the RV.

If you remove an RV tank and set it up right like a BBQ tank it will not work as it is designed to work lying on its side.

Take the tank to an RV shop and ask them if you have the proper tank for your RV. They should not charge you to give you a simple yes/no answer to a simple question.

If you do not have the right tank you will need to purchase one.

If you do have the right tank you can take it to a propane dealer to have the valve looked at.

Either way, you need to know what you have before you can make any decisions.

Thanks for the advice guys...

I assume that the tank is the original "correct tank" one because it has a brace attached to it to hold it horizontally in the hatch...

the guy who was "showing me how to use my camper" obviously didnt know that you dont upend the horizontal tank...

(Thanks again Diesel Mike!)

once again u guys have given me a starting point...

johnny

I agree with the repair it theory. Sounds like the valve stem gasket is leaking, not sure but it may have a nut on it that you can snug up to stop the leak. Horizontal tanks in motor homes were excluded from the act mandating auto over fill protection. My tank has a small valve on it that they crack open when filling , when the gas turns to liquid they know its full. I've never had my 1989's tank re-certified & never been questioned on it. I refill mine at a near by flying J.

Randy