I just bought my first home and paid CASH

Peggy Dyer

Hi There -

I just purchased a 1983 Toyota Dolphin with roughly 58,000 miles (the odometer stopped working at 55,999 about a year ago - the guy kept records and wrote his mileage down on every gas reciept) It has the upgraded axle, a shower, toilet, 4 burner stove, plenty of room for my clothes - I only have a few outfits ;)

SHAG carpet, plaid brown interior

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!

I am a professional photographer, and plan to live in it full time. Of course, I'm a total newbie, and would love any tips, links, or suggestions on my little "project." I have grand aspirations to remodel and update the interior layout to suit my needs better.

I spent last weekend up on the roof replacing a broken and very leaky ceiling vent. This weekend I'm working on resealing all the windows and the roof.

Here in Boulder there is a great RV shop and the guys are already on a first name basis with me and are super helpful when I come in with questions.

Yesterday I did my first DUMP of the blackwater tank, and felt so accomplished when all went by the book.

Here's a link to the site of the first photos.

http://gallery.mac.com/pegdyer#100015

Happy to be here!

Peggy

post-1638-1211609515_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1211609559_thumb.jpg

welcome aboard Peggy!!!

I also have an 83 dolphin although mine has the kitchen in the back design...

Photographer eh? cool... I use photography alot in other artistic processes (studio artist) so I totally relate to you wanting to modify this thing to fit your needs...

These things are so much fun... you are going to have a blast...

tell me how you dumped the blackwater tank please.... ???

Hi Peggy,

Just bought my first motorhome too. Yours looks to be in great shape! Congratulations!!!! Looking forward to hearing about your travels!

Wishing you a safe and happy Summer!!!!

Shanda

It's such a friendly club, happy to be onboard!

Well, Dumping the blackwater tank was a bit daunting, the guy I purchased it from had no ideas, and NO MANUALS - so I went to Boulder RV and they sold me the appropriate hose, elbow thing, and tightners for connecting the hose to the other pieces. However, when I got underneath the darn thing (they didn't design this for easy access at all) the LEVER was gone! OK,,, no problem, don't panic and got out some locking pliars and grabbed the metal rod and WHOOOOOOOSH - there it all went! HAHAHAHAHAHA - VICTORY! They I ran a hose through the kitchen window and ran plenty of fresh water back into the tank from the toilet side and viola!~

I've got a desire to completely rip out all the old cabinets, fixtures, and just "freshen" things up a bit. I spent a month in Thailand, and I want to apply the "Thai" principle to my bathroom and get a big shower pan and install the toilet with some minor customizations to the pan.

Does anyone have the electrical schematics for this model they could email me?

ALSO - I talked to my guys at the shop and they can install a SOLAR panel on the roof so I can be totally off the grid and not have to plug in to have power for the water pump.

I have an office so I'm not running anything other than a cell phone charger, and the water pump electrically, I am so excited!

Peggy

i have a buttload of documentation with my 83 dolphin peggy

i will look close for the schematic....

but honestly i doubt i have it.... even though i have the original manuals they are very vague... each appliance is described in one paragraph and thats about it from what i recall off hand...

other than the schematic for the wiring do you need a copy of the manual? im sure our model numbers are different but its still an 83 dolphin and there is some really good info in mine handwritten in on some of the documents... such as proper inflation of the front and rear tires...

some of the guys on this forum would never say so themselves but there are some real experts on these things lurking these forums... I am definitely not one of them

some of their names elude me at the moment but I know Diesel Mike has been very helpful with advice for me...

and i never cease to be amazed by some of the modifications and repairs these guys have made to their rig... they have seemingly done or thought through doing EVERYTHING...

its absolutely amazing to me, being new to these things...

i will try to get the documents scanned or at least the good parts...

welcome to the group...

:ThumbUp: Hi all,

I can add a me too, to the above. I bought a "project M H". About a third of the work has been done. I bought it from a nice guy - Dirk in Vancover - he didn't have the money or the time to finish, my gain. The inside of this M H must have been totally soaked, most of the pressboard has swollen and distorted the shape of everything. But now,it was well water proofed. I to am looking to replacing the upper cabinets - with white wire shelving it ventilates well. Most of the cabin elect is functioning. I turned on the refer the other day, after I leveled the cab. It seemed to get cool, so I thought I'll just fill it with stuff and it will be easier to keep it down there - lower 40's. Well the green light wouldn't stay on. Keep turning red. After reading everything I could lay my hands on, I decided to put a level "in the refer. The cabin was on - both ways. But the refer was two degrees listing to the port [driver's] side. I jacked up the low side, and the remote sensor in the refer says thirty nine point six degrees. By following the instructions I saved my self the cost of a new cooling unit [for a while]. The black water holding tank functions, the water valve on the porta-potty doesn't seal so I have to add my own flushing water. That valve is very curious, seems to be able to lenghten and offset at the same time. I'll take it to a dealer, cause it sure sprays water all over the bath floor - no loss. The rest of the water supply works.

It sure is fun to finally be able to drive up to my project and see I finally have this little Sunrader. :ThumbUp:

congrats fastjimmy!

its a daunting task to remove that kind of water damage.. I applaud your willpower and determination... its amazing to me how many people really want an old toy camper but they expect them to be perfect at 25 years old and to have never leaked anywhere!!!

there are two kinds of toyota campers... one that have had maintenance issues and ones that are going to have maintenance issues very soon!

most of them are the former!

I bought mine regardless of a few small leaks because the drivetrain seems so good and totally documented... and i am pretty good with woodwork...

little did i know i would have to... re-seal the roof, reseal the windows, demolish old damged wood, re-frame, re-panel, re-mold, re-place clearance lights, buy parts for the propane tanks... find new mattress for the cabover...

the list goes on and on... and it doesnt even matter... i would buy mine again in a heartbeat... it paid for itself the first two times i took it out as far as i am concerned...

i took it to a big festival and saw alot of old friends... people just gravitated towards it... before long i had people climbing in and out of the thing for 3 days straight...

I have a friend, Big Bill who is over 7 ft tall! seeing him standing in the back of my toyota camper looked like a scene from a funhouse or alice in wonderland... he was all bent up with his neck pressed against the ceiling and he looked like he was going to get STUCK!!!

big bill and SIX other people all got aboard the coach at one time... without anyone above the cab!

i have had about twenty offers for trade vehicles... and about 5 cash offers for my dolphin...

its hard to keep, but even harder to part with!

:red_bandana:

• 2 weeks later...

So I just start from the inside, right?

I've got the bathroom apart. I picked up some groovy glass tile from a buddy of mine and I intend to convert the entire bathroom into a glass bottom shower stall. I removed the sink and the old shower pan area too.

But then it dawned on me... I should follow on the path you all have blazed before me. It's time to start replacing wood.

I did the back vent, and the front window above the cab already, but the roof feels "soft" The ladder is not sturdy at all in fact, I normally head up to the roof through the "escape hatch vent" above the cabin area.

This 1983 dolphin does not have the fiberglass that the Sunrader model has, but is in need of some "structural re-enforcements"

Where should I begin?

THANKS!

Peggy

The floor under the carpet seems sturdy and solid, but the walls and roof are "soft"

The walls are soft? thats not good. Your going to need to fix that if there too bad. With the roof you could go with wood beams (3'' x 3'') or metal beam(s) like the 21'' sunrader has, or rip out the paneling and reframe it.

dont get too scared peggy... just start with one end of the vehicle and take out the damage and see what is underneath... if the sub-framing is solid, (it dont have 2 b pretty) you can repanel over it... if its not ... itz easy to replace...

dont get scared off yet!

fixing one is alot of fun and afterwards u know how its done!

Perfect Choice in the Model!...

We have the same 1983 model, I am a photographer as well(mainly travel photography)

Me my partner and our kitten all live in our 83 dolphin,... Was very excited to see how much storage space there is inside... we redid our interior as well.

and will continue to re-touchup the interior as long as we live in it =)

Now I have a small workshop where the rear dineing area used to be.

Would love too see more photos once you have done more work on it!

mayhap well have to stop by and say hi when we are out in Boulder!

Hope all is well!

and good luck on your new adventure!!!

~~~Eli