I am a new member of the board. My name is Lance Andrus. I live in Fayetteville, NC and I have a 1986 Coachmen with a 22RE automatic and the 1 ton axle.

My issue is this, since I bought my RV, the OD has not seemed to work. The light on the dash works when I push the OD button, but the tranny doesn't seem to shift. Currently I'm getting around 11 mpg. Can anyone suggest a possible reason the OD isn't working and how I can check this out.

Another issue is the fuel gauge. It usually reads empty, even when the tank is full. I assume that this is a sending unit issue since it will rise and show the correct level on occasion.

My cruise control doesn't work either. I've never been able to troubleshoot cruise control problems, so if anyone can offer some help I would be very grateful.

I look forward to some very rewarding times with the members of this board.

Lance Andrus

Fayetteville, NC

As to the cruise control & all the above works on mine but I've decided not to use the cruise it would cause it to shift too much,mine has some sensors, soleniods and probably a relay for the OD hope I never have to deal with It.

Howdy Lance...

I was reading your post about the OD. On my '86 Sunrader, when the dash lights " ON" the OD is " OFF" . Now, why it is this way is anyones' guess. But give the OD a try with the light off and see what happens.

Hello,

Also, my cruise control also causes way too much downshifting, and I have the V6 engine,

even on slightest incline. Yours may not be worth fixing.

Dennis...

I have no cruise on mine, but if you were to engage it at 50-55mph it should hold that speed fine unless driving into a stiff headwind or starting a climb. The higher the speed, the faster it will run out of steam and be thrashing around in 3rd (or second) gear. With favorable wind (heading east out here in the midwest) it may hold OD just fine for several hundred miles.