Water Heater

My Atwood G4SM water heater won't light (and doesn't seem to be getting any gas). I tuned and held the control knob all the way to the stop as directed , but I still don't seem to be getting and gas. I can't find a shutoff for it either. I followed the line the best I could , but can't find a shutoff. Shouldn't it have some sort of shutoff on the line ?

I can get my stove and fridge to light.

Is there a way to clean the control valve or does it sound like I need a new control valve ?

The guy at the RV repair shop says I need a new water heater. I had a coach inspection when I first got it , (and wanted the propane system PROFESSIONALLY checked). He said he didn't try and light it as he was afraid of exhaust fumes in the coach (and that I needed a new water heater).

I think he is yanking my chain as the heater looks in pretty good shape (as does the rest of my coach ) , as it only had 43,000 miles on it when I got it , and the coach does not appear to be "lived in" on a regular basis , as even the original upholstery is in great shape.

How can I tell if he was telling me the truth , or he is just trying to sell me a water heater (he wanted $300-$400 to intall it , if I remember correctly). I KNOW I can get one for a good bit less and do it myself (if necessary).

I think either the gas is shut off somewhere or the control valve is bad and needs cleaned or replaced.

And FYI , I am going to invest in one of those dual propane/co detectors. I think for a $100 or so they are a great insurance policy , and give a lot of peace of mind ! I (personally) would reccomend them to ALL RV owners. All it takes is one mishap with propane or CO to spoil your day !!!

Depending on the position of the water heater in the propane distribution, it is possible that there may be air in the lines (if the propane tank was empty or disconnected for a while). It took quite a while before the propane made it through to my furnace so that I could light the pilot. If you smell no gas, just use one of those long extended lighters and keep it lit and wait for the propane to make it through the pilot jet. You may wear a few fingers out holding the button down.

If that doesn't help, the jet may be blocked. Unscrew the jet and determine if it is blocked. Cleaning pilot jets may require finer wire than most of us have available, so sometimes the best bet is just to replace the jet.

Once you get the pilot lit and stable, then you need to see if the main burner will light off.

There is another possibility about why you water heater won't light, there is generally a thermocouple wired into the gas control relay that will not allow gas to flow if the thermocouple needs replacing. You can generally light the pilot light briefly but it will not stay lit until it gets an impulse from the thermocouple.

John A

I also have an atwood 4 gallon. I have to hold mine in the pilot position after lighting for one minute. If the thermocouple does not sense heat then the controller will not let gas out to the burner.

If your pilot light will not light I would disconnect that pilot line & blow it out. Another technique (for troubleshooting) would be to hold your light to the thermocouple for at least a minute then go to the run position - if you get gas flow (& lightoff from your lighter) then I would think that the controller is working.

My unit was going out intermittently - I just got my camper recently & have been using it a lot lately -the water heater is getting better & better.

As I understand thermocouple's, they use heat as an input & send a small electrical current to the controller, which tells the controller that there is a pilot light out ther so it is ok to send the burner gas.

The thermocouple is a safety device used on all gas appliances. When the coupler is heated it will open the valve for gas flow, but more important, if it becomes cold, ie..no flame, it will immediately shut-off the gas to prevent possible injury and/or death to occupants of buildings to include motorhomes. Usually a dirty thermocouple is the culprit in water heaters, etc not lighting or staying lit.

Allen

I used compressed air to blow the line from the controller to the pilot light. I removed the line at both ends as the orifice at thepilot light is quite small.

Now the pilot light is larger & it works a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that the gas line to the pilot light was plugged up.I blew it out with a compressor and it fired right up.

I am getting some strange smell (not sure if I would call it a less than clean burning gas smell ??) with the main burner going.Maybe because it probably hasn't been used in a long time ?

Or I am wondering if the guy at thr RV place was not pulling my leg , when he said he didn't want to light the water heater for fear of fumes in the coach. I'm not sure if he was just trying to sell me a new water heater.

Should there be ANY smells when the burner is working properly ?

I did put a CO detector in the coach , temporarily hanging out of the cupboard , but I DO plan to get a propane/co detector and install it pronto.

WHAT color should the flame be on the main burner ? Mine is mostly blue with some yellow around the edges. Is this what it SHOULD look like if it is burning CLEANLY (and PROPERLY) ???

It seems the guy at the RV place was right.

He said he didn't want to fire up the water heater for fear of fumes in the coach.

After I had it lit for 45 minutes or so , I went in the coach to check the hot water. It WAS good and hot.

In the process I AGAIN noticed a smell , and the only way I could desribe it is as "incomplete combustion" or something of that nature.

I had a fire/co alarm form my house sticking out of the cupboard , so the vents to the sensors could sniff out any CO. It didn't go off , but when I moved it I kept getting a warning (mine talks) saying " WARNING , CARBON MONOXIDE " .. I ended up putting it on the bunk with the vents on the quilt , and it still kept going off for a few minutes. Needless to say I opened the vents and door and got the heck out of there !!!!

Now I don't understand what the guy at the RV place saw that he appeartantly knew that I could end up with fumes in the coach.

The water heater looks fairly new (although I am almost certain it is ORIGINAL).

What would cause it to leak fumes into the coach ??