85 Dolphin needs help... major leaks.

My poor baby... she needs a lot of love and I need a lot of suggestions from anyone who can help.

The owner before me had smoething tied down to the luggage rack during a bad storm and it acted like a sail, caught the wind and ripped the lugage rack from the metal and studs.

He sent it to someone and they did their best to get the rack back on and put mountain of sealant around every spot where the rack attaches. Naturally this leaks like a mosnter and now I get to fix it or else loose my RV to water damage completely.

(I THINK) First order of business would be to completely remove and trash the luggage rack. Its bent and f'd and just a problem at this point.

Next would be to remove all teh gunk as best as possible and find all the holes. I asked a while back what sealant to use so I think I' m cool on that. But heres what I'm wondering....

Is there something that could be considered a little more permenant to fill in these larger holes in the metal like bondo or something? and THEN cover with the vulcum? I know this missing luggage rack is gonna leave a lot of big holes and I'd' like a better way to manage them.

Would it be a better idea to totally replace the outside metal on the roof? is that even possible? Any sorta upgrade options like fiberglass or something?

I appreciate any help I can get from you all.

- James

Cedar Hill, MO

The roof rack on my 89 Dolphin was coming off also, with lots of goop around every screw. I took it off and used eternabond to seal ever hole. I used it to reseal all the roof vents and any seam. This stuff is AMAZING. I think it will never leak. I bought the 6 inch and used my wife's sewing rotory cutter to cut it in half, so with one 50ft roll I got 100ft.

http://www.eternabond.com/products.asp?type=rv

I could not find anything negative about it during my searches. Take a look at all the info on their web page.

Jay

Stuff looks magic. This would be good for large punctures too (say dime to quarter sized holes)?

As far as interior replacement I'm reading more and more to just get the paneling used in bathrooms since they are more water resistant.

I'm assuming it would be a smart move to move on to aluminum studs as well?

I've got a lot to learn and I'm not sure what direction to go to pursue this... I appreciate everyones input and help on this :)

I used Eternabond to cover the hole where my Antenna was (I'll put it back on some day). Should never leak as long as the patch is larger than the hole.

As for the inside, I used 1/8 inch plywood (easy to cut with a utility knife) and all wood studs, and then repainted the entire inside. I might put some before, during and after pics when I get through. :rolleyes:

Jay

Eternabond is great stuff! It isn't cheap, but definitely worth it. We used it on our '84 Dolphin roof to cover a cracked area. It is the best thing we found after lots of research. We put it around our vents and also put it over the old screw holes when we removed the CB on the side of the motorhome. Just be sure it's where you want it to go because it is super sticky and stays stuck once applied. No more leaks!