Adding a generator

I have a 1991 Itasca and it doesn't have a generator. I see I can buy them. Since I have a 11K BTU A/C what size will I need? And then where do I put it? Will it fit in that outside compartment? How do you hook it up to the wiring? Where do you carry the needed gasoline? As you can see.....newbie here!

Hi,

There's several ways to do this. First and most important, Do you have a compartment for a generator? If you do then it should be pre-wired and ready to accept an RV generator. For Toyota motorhomes with an available compartment, you would want an Onan 2800 watt model, small, compact and quiet. For these units, the gas comes from your truck fuel tank. There should be a fuel pickup already installed for generators. It works just like the fuel pick up for the motorhome engine except it doesn't go down into the tank as far, so that running the generator will not run your tank dry.

The other options are installing a rack of some sort on the rear bumper to mount a generator. It would be manual start with it's own gas tank. You would have to find an area outside of the motorhome to carry an extra fuel can and not near the generator. Once you started this generator up, just plug your shore power AC cord into the generator and you're good to go. Check this site for various ways to install racks, etc.

You could always pull a small trailer with your generator installed on it with storage area for your fuel can, etc.

A Honda 2000 watt generator would probably work with your 11.5 Air Conditioner, but 2800 to 3000 watt would be your best bet.

Allen

• 1 month later...

Just purchased my first Toy RV (noobie alert!), a 1991/2 Itasca Spirit which had been configured by a prior owner with a Powermate ProForce 3125 generator installed INSIDE the onboard generator compartment, with an exhaust port modified to extend beyond the RV frame. (photos attached) [pls note, paperwork indicates the RV was originally delivered with the generator wiring package, but no generator]

(has the screaming died down yet?)

In my ignorance, this apparent violation of sanity seemed logical, until the owner of the local RV repair shop questioned the veracity of the installation. An attempt to contact Powermate for answers/blessings was useless, as they are answering neither phone nor email while in chapter 11 (just happened recently, too -- PS, Coleman sold Powermate to some investment company who was not able to resell the company, thus the Ch 11)

So ... this seemed like the right place to post this question: how crazy was this generator installation? Obviously it won't be operating while I'm going down the road, but is it safe even for occasional usage? The exhaust extention mod obviously isnt a perfect solution, as I imagine internal RV gens exhaust to the rooftop (?) but is it workable for short term usage if I am on high alert -- or should I just unload the Powermate generator ASAP? (PS - substituting a standard $2000+ onboard RV generator is NOT economically feasible for me at the moment)

Thanks in advance for your replies and potential outrage.

post-1684-1212746070_thumb.jpg

post-1684-1212746092_thumb.jpg

Edited by ToAsT

In my ignorance, this apparent violation of sanity seemed logical, until the owner of the local RV repair shop questioned the veracity of the installation.

What were the concerns the rv shop owner had? I can see a fire hazard when trying to refuel the tank within the compartment. A Gen-Turi exhaust system could be used to go above the roof line, but a special adapter would have to be fabricated to fit it to the Power-Mate. Fuel could be drawn from the rv tank via the generator port. If the gen compartment was pre-wired then the fuel tank should also have a fuel port for the generator. However you would need a fuel pump because the Power-Mate is gravity fed. For any generator installtion I would have a carbon monoxide monitor installed especially with a non-rv type generator.

Allen

What were the concerns the rv shop owner had? I can see a fire hazard when trying to refuel the tank within the compartment. A Gen-Turi exhaust system could be used to go above the roof line, but a special adapter would have to be fabricated to fit it to the Power-Mate. Fuel could be drawn from the rv tank via the generator port. If the gen compartment was pre-wired then the fuel tank should also have a fuel port for the generator. However you would need a fuel pump because the Power-Mate is gravity fed. For any generator installtion I would have a carbon monoxide monitor installed especially with a non-rv type generator.

Allen

The RV repair shop owner (the RV was purchased privately) expressed the concern that RV generators are designed for enclosed spaces, have fans to stay cool, dont have fuel tanks sitting on top of them and have proper exhaust systems -- where as this Powermate lacked all those features and was designed to be run out in the open. I don't think he was just taking that tack in order to sell me something else, as his concerns with heat build up and CO were logical.

Your suggestion for a CO monitor is a good one [thank you!], in fact one of the prior owners installed one, likely over the same concerns.

Not being particularly handy myself, having the modifications done that you suggested might cost more than the generator is worth, especially considering that I have no great love for it other than its already in place ... since its incredibly noisy ;P

I would appreciate additional input on how risky this configuration actually is ... perhaps the repair shop owner was overreacting or completely justified. I get the feeling that many RV owners are tinkerers and make innovative "improvements" to their units, some of which may have earned acceptability as "time tested" ... perhaps even including this situation with the outdoor utility generator.

I would appreciate additional input on how risky this configuration actually is ... perhaps the repair shop owner was overreacting or completely justified. I get the feeling that many RV owners are tinkerers and make innovative "improvements" to their units, some of which may have earned acceptability as "time tested" ... perhaps even including this situation with the outdoor utility generator.

The rv shop owner was absolutely correct. The enclosed generator is probably going to overheat, and with a gas tank sitting on it, is an explosion waiting to happen. I once saw a Honda generator enclosed in a box mounted on the rear bumper. The box had an intake vent cut into it and an output vent with an automobile electric fan over the exhaust vent. The fan was plugged into the 12VDC plug on the generator, when the generator was started the fan exhausted the hot air. There was a self-designed quick disconnect on the exhaust. The exhaust was disconnected so the generator could be removed from the box and refueled. It worked pretty good.

One of the radiator fans with frame (from a junk yard) could be mounted to your vented compartment door to provide the cooling that is needed. How long did the previous owner run the Power-Mate and did he have any problems?

I have a small 1200W generator that I carry in a removable storage box that is mounted on my rear hitch (I beefed the frame in the rear). The generator is only used to recharge the coach battery if I happen to be away from shore power. I just lift the gen out of the box and sit it on the ground to use it. The picture was taken before I added the hitch and beefed up the bumper and frame.

Allen

post-481-1212780083_thumb.jpg

The rv shop owner was absolutely correct. The enclosed generator is probably going to overheat, and with a gas tank sitting on it, is an explosion waiting to happen. I once saw a Honda generator enclosed in a box mounted on the rear bumper. The box had an intake vent cut into it and an output vent with an automobile electric fan over the exhaust vent. The fan was plugged into the 12VDC plug on the generator, when the generator was started the fan exhausted the hot air. There was a self-designed quick disconnect on the exhaust. The exhaust was disconnected so the generator could be removed from the box and refueled. It worked pretty good.

One of the radiator fans with frame (from a junk yard) could be mounted to your vented compartment door to provide the cooling that is needed. How long did the previous owner run the Power-Mate and did he have any problems?

I have a small 1200W generator that I carry in a removable storage box that is mounted on my rear hitch (I beefed the frame in the rear). The generator is only used to recharge the coach battery if I happen to be away from shore power. I just lift the gen out of the box and sit it on the ground to use it. The picture was taken before I added the hitch and beefed up the bumper and frame.

Allen

The fan idea is intriguing, and I really like your idea of using a small portable generator for the occasional battery recharge.

As far as prior owners experience, I dont have access to anyone who would have any answers, but today I did contact Winnebego directly, with photos. Their reply was as follows:

"The generator exhaust pipe should extend past the motor home. If there is a concern over the generator installation, we would recommend having your dealer inspect the installation."

Will post more info if/when available.

Thanks Allen for your comments.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Class B Chevy camper van and initially hauled a small trailer with the generator in the lower half of the box, with appropriate vents, and put a floor in above the generator and hauled our luggage, etc. up there. Later got a luggage rack and put it in my hitch receiver and set a honda 2000 generator there. My A/C was only 9000btu so the generator ran it with no problem. The honda 2000 is a great machine, served me through two hurricanes and hasn't required any maintenance since I have owned it--some 5 years now. Ray