We recently purchased a 1989 Toyota Odyssey that has vibration above 55 MPH. When we had the unit checked for alignment and balanced tires, we were informed that both outside rear duals were bent. Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas how this could have happened? We are currently thinking about using the spare rim for replacement on one dual and purchasing another good rim for the other outside dual. Any recommendation on where to purchase a new dual outside rim? Other advice?

My first thought was bent rims due to overloading, but I do not think that would do it,

other things would break before the rim bent, and if overloading was the issue, why

aren't the inside rims bent too?

One guess is that since it is a duelly, maybe the past owner had a problem of clipping

the outside tires on curbs.

Another guess is maybe a past owner had larger tires on the outside rims and they

were taking all the weight instead of half the weight.

Regarding where to get another rim or two, keep an eye on eBay, and check some of

your local salavage yards.

Dennis...

A lot of these RV's came new without duals. many were replaced with 1 ton dually axles. Some tried to pull a fast one by adding the duals with a bracket to accomadate the second wheel instead of replacing the axle. This is not good! Make sure there is a hub extending out thru the center of you're rims. If not, I suggest replacing the rear axle before you a cadistrophic failure! Troy in Mont.

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on the "frequency" of your vibration, it could be worn U-joints too.