Fixing Igniter on Dometic 2401

waiter

The Frig worked, but I had to light it outside with one of those long fireplace starters. The Piezoelectric igniter wouldn't work. It would push in but wouldn't give that distinctive CLICK and the corresponding spark.

My plan was to replace the igniter, but I wanted to take it out first so I could make sure I got the right part. As it happens, I was able to remove it, take it apart, clean it up so it wasn't sticking, put it back together and it works great.:ThumbUp:

Getting to it is a bear, but it can be done;

post-4544-034480000 1294793833_thumb.jpg

1) Take the covers off and remove the bottom screw that holds the tubes to the back of the frig. Also remove the propane line.

You can see the Igniter, Its that black thing in the center of the photo.

post-4544-056424500 1294793845_thumb.jpg

2) I pulled the tubes away from the frig so I could get my fingers and needle nose pliers in there to pull the retaining clip. You can see I jammed a screwdriver handle between the frig and the tubes to hold them out.

post-4544-022807600 1294793854_thumb.jpg

3) Very nice closeup of the igniter and the retaining clip. Pull the clip with a pair of needle nose.

post-4544-015080000 1294793865_thumb.jpg

4) Take the igniter out of its bracket (one screw on the back. Carefully, Parts and springs will fly everywhere.

post-4544-087895000 1294793871_thumb.jpg

5) I completely disassembled it It was caked with dirt and sand and would jam and not CLICK, I cleaned all the parts with WD40 and wiped them dry with paper towels.

post-4544-070942300 1294793879_thumb.jpg

6) I reassembled and it worked great. Good spark and good CLICK.

I took the control panel apart and cleaned it also, I removed the knobs and buttons, cleaned and wiped dry with WD40.

BIG BONUS - I was trying to figure out how the little periscope thing worked, well guess what. With the front panel screws out, I could get the periscope thing out and clean it. (No need to take the door off, the front panel will flex enough to get the periscope in and out.

post-4544-086427200 1294793886_thumb.jpg

7) Its a long plastic piece that needs to be clean in the ends.

When I put everything back together, I was able to start the frig and I could see the flame in the periscope pretty good.:ThumbUp:

• 5 months later...

NOTE - On my trip to Alaska, we would switch our frig to Electric every three or four days when we pulled into an RV Park and had electric hookup.

When we switched back to propane and tried to light the frig, it got to the point that the clicker wouldn't click, and I'd again go outside and use a fireplace lighter to start the frig while the wife held in the button.

While watching from the outside, I noticed that when she hit the clicker, the whole coil unit would move back about 1/4 inch. I don't think it should do that (scratching head) :thumbdown:

I looked carefully and noticed a screw had the head broken off that holds the coil assembly to the back of the frig.

post-4544-0-99459800-1308922396_thumb.jp

I ran two screws beside the bracket to hold the coil unit, had the wife try again and BLAM she got the distinct CLICK. and the coil didn't move.

If you have this problem you may want to look and see if this has happen to you.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I wish that my norcold was the same setup. Unfortunately it is a rocker switch for the ignitor. The device relies on 12v to auto ignite the fridge and re-light it if the fridge pilot goes out. Seems over engineered to me and the replacement part is $80.

Thanks for the update John. I have to fix my igniter also, now I feel better about digging in there.