Hot water tank use

I am ready to put the propane bottle to the motorhome ('85 Rogue) for the first time. I'm hopeful because everything else seems to work in this vehicle and don't see any reason for the gas stuff to be any different ... but I do know it sat for the last five years before I bought it.

I know that the tip for checking leaks around a gas BBQ is to pressurize, then spray all fittings with soapy water then check for bubbles. On the motorhome though, you cannot see all the fittings. I want to put a new tank on it and see if I can get any hot water. But there are no controls of any kind on the tank?

How can I feel confident that the system is not leaking gas once I pressureize with a new tank? And how do you turn on the hot water?

How can I feel confident that the system is not leaking gas once I pressureize with a new tank? And how do you turn on the hot water?

Unless the fittings have been removed for some reason you "should" not have any leaks. Soapy water sprayed on is the tried and true test for leaks.. Also smell. A little leak stinks a LOT....

You should find a main shut off/on valve on your tank. Make sure it is opened.

Water heaters come in different verities from standard pilot type which will have the same valving as a home water heater. On, pilot, and off rotary valve and a push to light for the pilot until the thermo couple heats and the pilot stays lit. There are also DSI heaters which are electrical (DC) spark ignition. If you have a DIS you will find a rocker switch located somewhere in the coach that says "Water Heater" just throw the switch and listen for the "whoosh" of it auto lighting for you.

If the gas system has not been used in a while you may want to turn on the stove burners and light them to get gas flowing through your pipes before fiddling with the other gas appliances (heater, fridge, water heater, oven, etc)

If the gas system has not been used in a while you may want to turn on the stove burners and light them to get gas flowing through your pipes before fiddling with the other gas appliances (heater, fridge, water heater, oven, etc)

I did get the stove burners to light. Proves that the fuel in that old tank is still good. I let them run for at least 5 minutes, all of them. Then I tried again to light the hot water pilot. It just must be plugged.

I even put something in there to hold the button down for about ten minutes and went around the Toyota looking for gas leaks. None found. I went inside and relit the stove burners. No problem at all. Went out to the hot water tank one more time - the button was still being held down and I tried lighting it again. Not a bit of propane is coming out that small hole.

Actually let it stay open for a while longer before removing the pliers that I had holding the button down and shutting the valve off. How can I unplug that pilot? Is it something you can replace? I don't even know if the main heating element is any good so I would rather not spend any money on this particular project yet as it's not really a priority.

Now, to switch gears to the Fridge:

The refrigerator has two buttons to light it; one for gas and one for an electric lighter. I don't see any action down there either; how do I know whether the electric lighter on the fridge is working? Can't see anything in the viewer.

Basically at this point the only thing I know that works in the propane system is the stove, which I would not be using where I go. But it's nice to know the system is intact. Now, how in the world can I find out if the other two devices are any good? Those, I need!

-Paul in San Diego

Edited by SanDiegoPaul

In the back of my refrigerator (accessible through the outside door) is a brass valve on the refrigerator propane input line. My furnace is located under the sofa and is accessible by raising the seat halfway up. There is another brass valve on the propane line right before it gets to the furnace.

Allen

83 Sunrader

In the back of my refrigerator (accessible through the outside door) is a brass valve on the refrigerator propane input line. My furnace is located under the sofa and is accessible by raising the seat halfway up. There is another brass valve on the propane line right before it gets to the furnace.

Allen

83 Sunrader

Thanks Allen. No furnace here and no brass valves...darn!