Dolphin Noob!

Gayla

My most recent RV experience was 30+ years ago when I was twelve and all I had to do was ride in the cab over while Mom and Dad drove and did everything else. :) I can count on two hands the number of times I've even camped since then. More recently, we've started "camping" in the mini van (read: took out all the back seats and threw down some camp pads and a comforter so we can sleep in the back when we get tired of driving during our travels). But that's all about to change!

We saw an ad for a Dolphin on Craigslist a few days ago and it looked about perfect for us. Of course, knowing nothing about Dolphins and being the geek that I am, I immediately googled and ended up here. My partner, not being much of a geek at all, went to see it and wrote a check for $3,900.

"It's cute and looks like they took care of it and it has these neat little baskets in all of the cabinets so I decided we had to have it!"

So, this evening, she took possession of a 1984 Dolphin. It is in Ft Collins, Colorado where she has been visiting family. We live in the Seattle area. That's about 1862 miles away.

In my very brief few days of reading everything I could on this site, I've started thinking that we may be in for more of an adventure than I first thought.

Here's what I know about it so far - 1984, less than 60k miles on it, 4 cyl, 4 sp, no dash AC but roof AC in the back, small leak under the sink in the bathroom. The person we bought it from is the second owner and had to sell because their HOA at their new house will not allow them to park it in the driveway and they can't afford to pay to store it. Still has all of the original manuals. Not sure about maintaince records.

The first thing my googling turned up was the axle issue. The rear wheels show 6 lug nuts. From the FAQ I read, this should tell me that the axle was replaced and is ok? Is there something else we need to check just to make sure before she begins the drive home?

Sometime in the next few days, she's taking it to the mechanic that her family has used for many years and trusts with all of their vehicles. So far on the list is an oil change and have him check fluids, hoses, belts, tires and brakes. Is there anything we should add to that list before she sets out on the journey? Oh, and am I correct in thinking that the 84 Dolphin is just like an 84 Toyota truck from a mechanical standpoint? I had an 84 pickup for years so I'm hoping it's the same because I'm pretty familiar with it.

As for the RV part of it all, I'm clueless and once we get it home, I'm going to have to figure it all out! I've read some really good stuff here but quite a bit of it has just led to more questions. Propane, batteries, holding tanks, electricity, airbags, water heaters. Oh, and the current owner said something about never having used the furnace because it had to be level for it to work?!? I think I will go find the Dummies book tomorrow. In the meantime, any helpful hints, suggestions, things you wish you knew when you were in my spot, would be greatly appreciated!

As overwhelming as it all is, I'm really excited about having a new project to work on! :)

Hi Gayla! Welcome to the forum!

Heads up: You may find yourself obsessed once the toy pulls up in your driveway. Happens to the best of us.

As far as tips for the drive home inspection, I can only speak from experience. Sadie sat for so long that rust and gunk had clogged the carb. Might not hurt to have the mechanic check the fuel system. If you've read past posts, you may have noted that driving these little homes take some getting used to...especially where there are strong wind gusts and big passing trucks. My theory: the shape of the mh, and the speed at which they travel. Not hugely aerodynamic and those big trucks coming up from behind at 80mph+ can feel like they're just pushing you out of the way then sucking you back in. After a few miles you get the hang of it, but it's not like driving a private passenger car, van, or truck. You might want to clue in your partner prior to her trip back home. I just try relax and pretend that the motorhome is a big beautiful bird riding the thermals.

You guys are going to have a blast decorating and fixing up the little Dolphin and learning all the little tips and tricks to make everything work.

Best Wishes.

shanda

Hi Gayla,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Toy motorhomes! Lots of us live in Toyland and really enjoy it even with the problems that will pop up with these older MHs. They are both fun and sometimes a little frustrating -- just like life!

Two things I would do before hitting the road home would be:

1. Check the age of the tires and, if they are old, definitely buy new tires before leaving. Do not go by the way the tire tread looks, but by the manufacture date on the sidewall of each tire. This is a major safety issue, so don't overlook it.

2. Get emergency road service so if there is a breakdown or flat tire, no one will be sitting and wondering who to call. We bought Good Sam ERS and have been very pleased with it.

Like Shanda said, it will take a few miles to get used to driving a MH. Keep an eye on the side mirrors, leave room to stop as these are heavier than a car and don't stop on a dime and be prepared for crosswinds that can be strong sometimes. Good ol' common sense will take one a long way when driving any vehicle and these Toys are no exception.

We have a '84 Dolphin 300 series and really enjoy it. Here's hoping the Dolphin fun continues for you all, too! Don't forget to give your MH a name!

Dianne "The Little Puppy" (we have three small dogs that love TLP!) :wub:

For the most part (if not all parts), the truck part should be just like your 84 pickup truck,

except for a the rear axle (dulley) and you may find a transmission cooler.

To check the date on the tires there is a DOT stamp, you need to read the last four digits,

which represents the week and year they were made. For example, 2204 is the 22 week of 2004.

If the tires are older 8 years old you may want to replace them before making the trip home.

You probably want to get the fuel filter replaced and the air filter (mainly because mice like to

make a nest in the air filter intake duct).

Also, have the shop check the rear axle fuild level, as well as the transmission level. If either fuild

has not been replaced in last 30K or so, may be a good time to have it done. Also, the same

goes for the raditor fuild, if not flushed and filled in the last 5 years.

Dennis...

Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

She dropped it off at the mechanic this afternoon and they'll be looking it over tomorrow and maybe have it back by Monday. When she pulled into the parking lot, the shop owner came out to see what was wrong and was shocked to see that it was someone new driving it! Apparently this is the same mechanic the previous owner used and he had taken it in just a few weeks ago for an oil change. They've been doing the work on this unit for several years and know all about it!

I'll make sure to add fuel and air filters and rear axle and tranny fluid to the list and I already talked about the tire date.

Today's good news - it does have dash air, she just didn't know to look for the little AC button! Had it all nice and chilly on the drive to the shop today!

I think I'm getting excited about this now! :ThumbUp:

So the Dolphin is home now! :)

An uneventful trip, although it took a day longer than expected to actually get here. Averaged about 13mpg which I think is good considering all the mountains between Ft. Collins and Colorado. Went today and got the title switched over and picked up the plates. Yay for no emissions check needed! We also found a place to store it for $75 a month. It's an uncovered spot at mini storage place we have a unit in. Since we're in a condo, it makes it tough since we can't just leave it in the driveway. Hopefully that will change soon though!

So, as I expected, the questions are filling up my mind!

We did pull it into the parking lot this morning and I got to actually see the top of it from our balcony, rather than crawling up on it. It looked like there were some holes of some sort around the bathroom vent. I don't see any evidence of water leaking into the bathroom and I can't actually see light around the fan so I'm wondering if this is actually leaking someplace where I wouldn't be able to see it?

We got a couple of big brown envelopes full of booklets for the microwave, awning, water heater, etc. but there wasn't an owner's manual for the actual RV itself. Since I don't have any idea of how to actually work the various systems, is there any other type of book I could get that would help explain what I'm supposed to do? My main concern is the holding tanks and propane systems.

Since it will be parked outside and uncovered, and since there may be some leaks we haven't found yet, I'm thinking I need to get a cover. Any suggestions for types of covers, places to purchase, etc.?

I'm sure this is just a start to the bajillion and two questions I'll have! Thanks for all your help. This noob appreciates it! :)