Install an Awning

waiter

My 88 Dolphine has the rail installed. I went out and measured it, its 11' 8". I assume this would be a 12 ft awning.

Any ideas, recommendations, thoughts??

John MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John,

I bought the Shade Maker Bag Awning for my Toy. I went with the 9 foot supreme. I also purchased the Add A Room for this awning. We used it during our spring break trip in San Antonio last week. The kids stayed in the Add A Room for 3 out of the 4 nights. It takes 2 people to put up the bag awning but it goes up in just a minute or so. Attaching the Add A Room only takes about maybe 10 minutes. I paid about $600.00 for everything. Shipping was free! I am happy with the Shade Maker awning and Add A Room.

Eddie in Texas

Eddie, I think I seen a "Bag Awning" on e-bay.

Whats the difference between these and a regular awning??

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John,

The bag awning slides into the rail and 2 screws hold it in place. This way you do not have to drill through the sides of your Rv. It installs in 5 minutes and you are ready to go. Everything folds up and stores in the bag. This bag just hangs from your rail. Look up Shade Maker on line. You can buy directly from them. They are nice people and will answer any questions. My awning rail is 100 inches from the ground i gave them this measurement so they could make sure my Add A Room would work. Everything works great!

Eddie

Excellent. This looks like it could be a reasonable alternative to the regular awnings.

Once installed, how much trouble is it to deploy and roll back up?

How secure is it traveling down the road?

I'm thinking 10ft. Is the clearance OK over the entry door, i.e. the bag doesn't hit the door OR when the awning is deployed, the door doesn't hit the awning.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

It comes out and rolls back up easy. The only reason you need two people is because of the length. Im a small person so somebody with long arm might be able to do it all alone. It clears everything on my Tou. The door opens and i can still use the porch light with it. You caint beat it for a couple hundred bucks.

Eddie

HI Warrior92 - When unfolding and folding back up, you do need to reach the top of the RV right? I'm also on the small side - If I fully extend my arms, I would probably reach only about 3/4 to the top. So this means I would need a ladder of sorts right? Thanks.

I bought a 9ft A&E TrimLine for $130 from Tri State Surplus in Hudson Mich (about 45 minutes from here)

I'll install it tomorrow and see what it does.

The fellow said it is a little more work putting up and taking down, but thats the cost advantage. Probaly if I was going to do this every night during the summer, I'd go for a retractable.

I'll take photos and keep you posted.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Peacemaker885, I do carry a short 2 foot step ladder with me. Thia does help to reach the top of the motorhome. I am a short guy so i need the help. If you stand on a beer cooler this works as well. I will try and post a few pictures of my Shade Maker Awning and Add A Room sometime this weekend. I am real happy with it. Its not hard at all to put up as some people have said.

John glade you found a awning. I think you will be happy with the 9 foot once you get it installed. I think anything over 9 foot on our little toys is to much. Just my opinion though.

Eddie in Texas

• 1 year later...

Thank you to all of you who have contributed information about the bag awning. Because of your help, we purchased one through ebay at the lower price (two years later). We have just put ours together but have not attached it to the motorhome yet. One question: do you feel it is secure on the motorhome rail with a screw on either end holding it in place? Ours is the 8 ft. size.

Mike and Kathi

Washington state

I assume your talking about a screw that goes into the rail, and blocks the bag from sliding out of the rail.

If so, then yes, thats fine.

On mine, instead of a screw, I drilled a hole thru the rail and I installed a small cotter pin.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 months later...