How hard is it to change out an automatic transmission to a manual transmission 5spd

Hi I'm thinking of purchasing a 1985 Toyota motorhome with an automatic transmission and I totally hate automatics im wondering how hard is it to change out from an automatic to a manual transmission it is also a duelly to boot 

also please don't mind my bad spelling I know it stinks 

11 hours ago, SWR said:

Hi I'm thinking of purchasing a 1985 Toyota motorhome with an automatic transmission and I totally hate automatics im wondering how hard is it to change out from an automatic to a manual transmission it is also a duelly to boot 

also please don't mind my bad spelling I know it stinks 

I am changing mine right now. I have a 1988 Minicruiser with a 22RE.   I bought all the basic parts for $400 from a nearby junkyard in Canada. My auto trans works fine but I hate it. I hate the power loss, I hate the fuel mileage loss, and hate the excess heat it makes.

Note - $400 got me a flywheel, clutch, trans and bellhousing, clutch pedal linkage, master and slave clutch cylinders.    I then spent another $90 for new trans seals, new rear mount, a brand new clutch disk, slave and master cylinder, pilot bearing, and release-bearing. I am also going to pull the 5 speed trans. apart just to verify all is OK inside.

My original plan was to buy a complete truck somewhere for parts.  Just so happens that 2WD Toyota trucks where I live are extremely rare. I found many rusted out Toyota trucks cheap but they were all 4WD.

DSCF7455.JPG

DSCF7454.JPG

DSCF7453.JPG

DSCF7452.JPG

DSCF7446.JPG

DSCF7447.JPG

DSCF7445.JPG

DSCF7443.JPG

DSCF7441.JPG

DSCF7439.JPG

One added comment. If you have a 20-21 footer, and an OEM 4.11 to 1 rear, it is likely 5th overdrive won't do you a lot of good unless you change to something like a 4.56 to 1 in back.  Or, at least a 4.30 to 1.  I had a 1984 Datsun 20 footer with a 2.4 engine and 5 speed trans and OEM 4.30 dually rear.  It was just enough to make 5th OD usable but I think 4.56 is better.