WA state to WA D.C. and back: Summer 2008

djstory

We are starting to prepare for our summer trip. We bought a 1984 Toyota Dolphin for the trip. It has 7,000 miles on a new engine with 87,000 original miles.

Our family of six will drive from Spokane, WA to Washington D.C.. I will be riding my bike all the way and two of my kids will ride with me as much as they want. My amazing wife will drive the Dolphin, take care of the kids while I am on the bike, and have grub ready for me when I hit the pitstop for the night. Once we hit DC, the bike goes on the rack and we head up to New York. Then we head home. Our route is not completely planned yet, but we are having our 4 kids (13, 11, 9, 5) help in the planning.

We will leave mid-June and be on the road until late-August. There are some big benefits to being a school teacher. All in all, it should be an epic adventure.

Don

Edited by djstory

I will be riding a bicycle. I am planning on riding 6 days a week and average about 60-70 miles a day. It will end up being just about 3000 miles from Spokane to Washington DC, so somewhere around 50 days on the bike. We will then drive home over a new route so our kids can see as much of the country as possible.

All the best,

don

• 4 months later...

Okay, we are well on the way for our trip. We have covered about 1,200 miles so far and the Dolphin has been awesome. Our mileage has ranged from a low of about 10mpg while in the mountains of Montana to a high of 19mpg when the hills were minimal.

The bicycle part of the trip has been great too. I ride a recumbent and it has performed flawlessly. That is until somebody rammed into it with their car and I am now stuck in Pierre, SD until it gets fixed.

Check it out at : www.storybiketrip.info

don

I hope you are taking lots of photos of your adventure and will post them so everyone can enjoy your trip.