1977 chinook

farmer

Hello all' I am brand new to this sight but love these little motor homes (especially with the price of gas). I have recently come upon what I think is the deal of the century but I am not very experienced yet to know the values. I found a 1977 Chinook with 53000 miles on it, the body is good aside from some faded paint but no rust. The frame is also in very good shape only very minamal surface rust. The interior is clean and everything functions as it should. The current owner wants $1200.00 for the little rig which I thought was very reasonable. They told me that the weight of the mh made it slugish going uphills but it does great on the highway. I have asked around on some internet sights and have been told that a cam, carb, header, and ignition upgrade will make a huge difference and not affect the fuel economy. Has anyone out there done any of these mods, and do they really make a noticable difference? Is this a good price? Also the tires will need replaced, now there is a set of bfg's on it that are dry-rotted. What kind of tires does a chinook take as far as load range? is a load range c or d to heavy of a tire that will make the ride too rough? Any help will be greatly apriciated.

As for the mods to the engine...yes......they work. Cams are a big boost from my expirence. Look for a mid range cam as it is a nice comprimise. Most of those mods help in the HP department but I would look towards getting the torque numbers up. Again look at the cam for that. Carbs help huge also. Headers and the like dont add as much but when you use all the mods available together the power adds up.

A 1977 I am assuming has the 20R....I would look into bolting in a 22R if its in the bugdet.

As for tires I go over kill when ever I can. Do you know what axle is back there? I would investigate that too. If its a five lug I would want to change that to a six lug.

How much more power does a 22r engine have? The mods add up to about $500 with me doing the work, with the mods would the 20r stand close to a 22r in power? I would probabaly use the 20r since it only has 53000 miles. Also the rear axle is a 5 lug. I read in one of these forums that the smaller motorhomes under 18' would do ok with the original axle. Is this true or am I in for trouble?

Check out the Engines-Transmissions section in these Forums and look up top for a pinned topic "axle facts". Also, a few years ago I had a 18' Dolphin with a 20R and it was a complete dog. My 21' Sunrader has a fuel injected 22RE and there is a big difference in the power.

How much more power does a 22r engine have? The mods add up to about $500 with me doing the work, with the mods would the 20r stand close to a 22r in power? I would probabaly use the 20r since it only has 53000 miles. Also the rear axle is a 5 lug. I read in one of these forums that the smaller motorhomes under 18' would do ok with the original axle. Is this true or am I in for trouble?

I have had many yotas over the years and albeit reliable the 20R just is like last poster said gutless. 500 bucks in mods imo doesnt equal a 22R with a few mild mods and comes no where near the 22RE IMO.

The 20R just cant produce the torque, so no matter it will be slow. I wouldnt let that stop me. 1200 bucks for such a kool ride would be worth imo. I would drive it and see if you can live with it. If just a slight power increase is all you think you need then there you have it. But If you want more power at least you have the truck and can look into future power options later.

As for the 5lug being fine it may well be, just not for me. I have never owned a Toyota camper or the like, I lurk here because I want a 4x4 version even if I have to build it. I think scoring a Chinook would be a very lucky thing. And quite frankly I know the six lugs are extremely durable. I guess I should have made myself clear on that.

Farmer,

I own a 77 Chinook and I love it. If it were me I would leave the 20R alone and just drive it. I have 62,000 on mine and have had only miner problems with it,(water pump, front brake caliper, shocks and a clutch.) It sat in my parents yard for almost 10 years before I rescued it from becoming a piece of junk. The 1200.00 price is a steal snap it up before the guy changes his mind or someone else snatches it up from under you. The rear axle will not be an issue as long as you don't overload the camper. I run Michlin LT truck tires with KYB gas ajust shocks and it rides very smooth and handels good. This is a great site to get important info. on fixing and maintaining your Toy. Good luck.

Tim

The tires are 185-65R14 load range "D" Sometimes the tires have LT listed (light truck) Sumitomo, Michelin, Hankook and Goodyear may have tires in this size. Be prepared to shop around since they are not popular sizes. Tire Rack will offer them for sale and will ship to a tire mounting shop you specify.

John '86 21' Sunrader, 22RE, 43D four speed auto, 46K miles

• 11 years later...

A friend of the friend is selling a 77' Chinook, 187k miles, all in good working order for $1,600. Wouldn't pass emissions in CA not because of carbon output, but from the type of carb she had. Im here in AZ, wondering how I would check if this type of carb wouldn't pass emissions here either. 

Thanks in advance!