RV history of terms, i.e. etymology

zero

I'm posting this to see what some other's take on word and phrase-use is.    I am talking about the use of certain terms used for motorhomes and trailers and truck-campers.  E.g. "Rec-Vee" or "RV, etc.  
My main curiosity is with the terms used for motorhomes, i.e.  " Class A", "Class B, and "Class C."  I've done a fair share of research, reading over a 1000 old magazines and camper publications. Also spent some time at the RV research library in Elkhart, Indiana.  It is interesting to see how certain uses of words , or titles, changed over the years.  Not exactly like using the Oxford English Dictionary though, to verify where a word comes from.

I am posting this here as just a sort of survey to see what participants on this forum think.    Mainly the Class A, B, and C labels and how did they start?

I've read several articles from the early 60s where certain writers think "Class C" evolved from "chassis mount."  Makes sense to me, but I have no idea if it could ever be proven.

I now have a guy on another forum furious with me (one of these digitially-bold guys) that has been cursing me out.  Why?  Because someone asked about "chassis mount" motorhomes, and I mentioned our Toyotas as examples.  Then the angry guy showed up, screaming through his keyboard or keypad about how wrong I am.   He says a Class C is something totally different then a chassis-mount.  Me?  My take is this. I KNOW what the word "chassis" means. I also know what the word "mount" means.  So when you put them together I envision something "mounted on a chassis", just as our Toyotas are.  I see other authors, RV makers, etc. have the same problem as me. 

I am well aware of the many early home-made chassis-mount campers that were often just travel-trailers bolted to a pickup truck frame.   Crude perhaps, but not all that different from bolting a nicely made coach onto a Toyota cab & chassis.

I guess I am also amazed at how angry and emotional some people get over things like this.  I think the "digital age" has created a way for normally timid people to get bold, while hiding behind a keyboard or their "device."

chassis mount rv.jpg

chassis mount rv 2.jpg

chassis mount rv 3.jpg

chassis mount rv 4.jpg

I don't understand why some people get so upset about the little things in life.  I always thought that if you started with a truck or van and you chopped off part of the bodywork to make room for the camper portion, you end up with a class C.  The ad for the Xplorer looks likes many class C's from the 60's that were built on pickups.  A guy down the road from me has a 1964 Chevy class C.  I love were the ad says that the Xplorer isn't bound by tradition, it looks just like a modern version of his Chevy.  

I do like the diesel option, but that isn't something that hasn't been done before. 

Not many of the Scamp RV's were built.  I saw one at a Scamp Camp that I participated in 10 years ago.  Some were also built on small Dodge trucks.