smallest toyota motorhome

lorraine

Just found this site and am trying to figure it out. First I didn't even know there were any Toyota motorhomes. I have an 05 Toyota Sienna. I had a high top roof put on it last year. It has a bed with storage under it, little storage areas above like a conversion van only smaller, a cabinet with a microwave, toaster and cook top. I have electricity when available. Being a short person I can stand up in it. I've also made screens for my windows and have a little TV. It is soooo cute and my dog and I have travelled many thousands of miles camping in it. I am getting ready to put an air conditioner on top. Trying to figure out which of the way too big ones will work out best. I live in Fl. so really need it. Of course I get excellent gas mileage and am small enough to go anywhere. I am going to try to post some pictures and if it works I will send more of the interior.

post-1361-1200700064_thumb.jpg

I've thought about doing what you are doing - making my own motorhome from one of the minivans. There are some shops doing the conversions - I've seen the Chrysler Town & Country converted as well as the RWD Aerostar. They put pop-top roofs on them plus the usual motorhome fixtures inside and then charge lots and lots of money. Doing it yourself is a lot cheaper. I think it's a great idea. Do you have any thoughts on which van would be the best one to start with if money was no consideration? Is that why you chose the Sienna? Ford, Dodge & GM make huge passenger vans that would make excellent do-it-yourself motorhomes I think, but they are basically trucks underneath and get truck-type mileage, so no advantage there. Anyway, how about posting some pictures of your rig?

Mike

There are lots of vans that if your handy you could convert yourself. I love the conversion vans but didn't want that large a vehicle for every day driving and only wanted one vehicle at this time. If I put the ac on the roof and I want to get a Stowaway cargo carrier for the rear which is a bit pricey I will probably have less than $7000 into it. While I haven't got all the comforts I don't have the cost either.And it sure beats a tent. Some mini vans like the Grand Caravan have raised roofs available. Don't know about pop tops. That was not an option for the Sienna. And with a pop top there would be no way to put in a roof ac. Something to consider if you live or plan to travel where it is hot. I will get those pictures up in the next couple of days.

I've seen air conditioners mounted at the rear of the roof - the Vixen TD comes to mind. I think I've seen them on other van type motorhomes. Instead of mounted up top, they are somehow blended into the rear of the motorhome with the louvers facing horizontally aft. Doesn't the Pleasure Way or Road Trek vans have something like that too?

Those vans like the Pleasure Way or Road Trek get lousy mileage, just like trucks. Your idea of using a converted minivan seems like a great idea. Raise the roof (or put a pop top on) so you can move around inside and get something large like the Grand Caravan you mention and you've really got something useful and a pleasure to drive.

The aftermarket van modifiers put the pop-tops on. I'm sure they could do one for the Sienna too.

I like the way the van sides open up. You could put a screen room on the side and really have a nice set-up for camping.

• 4 weeks later...

If I had put a pop top on then that would cancel out the ability to put on a roof top ac. But I could not find a pop top for the sienna although I know they make them for the caravans. I considered a caravan but the toyotas have so much better rating when you check consumer report. I want to put a whole lot of trouble free miles on that baby.Tomorrow I am ordering the carrier low profile ac and the tentative installation date is feb. 23. I am getting the heat strip as well. So then I shall be prepared for heat or cold. When that is done I will take pictures inside and out and post them.