Good Day All

I have a 1988 Toyota dolphin motorhome with 51K miles. I was getting everything getting ready for the season. When I checked the brakes the pedal felt soft. I looked and noticed that a trail of fluid had run down the passenger inside dual tire. I replaced both rear the brake cylinders and the brake shoes. The drums looked good. I bled the rear brakes and the brake pedal felt firm once again. When I drove the vehicle the pedal once again felt soft.  So I bled all the brakes again, both front and rear. Once again I got the same result.  The pedal was firm till I started the engine.  With a running engine the pedal was soft. Should I assume that the leak that I saw on the passenger inside dual was part of the problem and the real problem is the brake master cylinder. 

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

If you have power brakes the pedal will feel much softer with the engine running.  

Bob.s right.  I suspect you're just feeling the vacuum assist.  shut the engine off and see if it gets hard again.  with the engine off, you shouldn't be able to press the pedal down much no matter how hard you try.  but I think you're probably OK.

Thanks for the feedback. I will adjust the rear shoes using the backing up/ emergency brake method and see if that helps.Just want to be safe. Again thanks. 

Lifted the rear end and adjusted the rear brakes via the access port on the back of the hubs. Bled brakes one more time. Drove a bit. Think I hit it this time. 

excellent.  I often find that even when I've bled the brakes thoroughly the first time around, I seem to get at least a tiny bit of air when I re-bleed em a few days later.