Toyota Dreaming..

bufbooth

Does anyone know the reason why RV companies dropped their Toyota Motorhome lines? Was it that

gas was cheap? With gas at $3.00 or more a gallon and RV travel at a recent time low, one would think

that we would be seeing a modern version of our 1990s Toyota motorhomes.

The 1989 to 1993 Toyotas had a 3.0L V6 engine that I believed produced 150hp/150lbs torque, this was

matched with the standard Toyota pickup transmission, and a modified Toyota truck chassis. This setup

got us between 15 to 18 mpg.

I was looking to see if Toyota had a modern version of a 3.0L engine and I found that in 2006 Toyota had

a V6 3.0L engine in their Camrys, and this 2006 version produced 190HP/197lbs torque. If Toyota were to

build a true motorhome chassis, used the 2006 3.0L engine, and matched it up with a beefed up 5 or 6

speed transmission (auto or manual), and paired it up with a more aerodymatic Class C body, I would

guess that 20mph highway should be easily possible. The extra 40HP and 47lbs of torque should work

out to a 3.0L engine running at a lower rpm, which should buy us a 3 or 4 mpg. A modern transmission should

buy us 1 or 2 mpg, and a more aerodymatic body and chassis hopefully would buy a 1 mpg.S

Am I off base on the above?

Thanks,

Dennis...

I think toyota does not make because it to much of a liability for the other companies that produce the camper section. Toyota was just ranked the 2 biggest car company in america and is to busy making big gasoline trucks that get 10 miles to the gallon unloaded. I own three toyota that are great no complains what so ever. I wish they would male a smaller truck than the TACO with a turbo diesel and a straight axle.

If they did make a motor home it would be based off the Tundra and cost 40,000 dollars or more.

I was told by a gentleman who sold the Toyota Dolphins in Dallas, Texas that the manufacturing of the small motorhome was stopped because Toyota quit providing the chassis to the manufacturers......John A

Yup, I was told by the Recall Guy at National RV during a phone conversation in 1995 that Toyota actually stopped manufacturing the 1Ton Chassis in 1991. This was reinforced by my eyeballing a field full of Toyota Chassis' which appeared at the Scotty Factory (Irwin,Pa) in late '91, early '92. The numbers slowly dwindled and I think were all gone (through the Plant and down the road as MH's) sometime in '94 or maybe early '95.

Lew

Does anyone know the reason why RV companies dropped their Toyota Motorhome lines? Was it that

gas was cheap? With gas at $3.00 or more a gallon and RV travel at a recent time low, one would think

that we would be seeing a modern version of our 1990s Toyota motorhomes.

The 1989 to 1993 Toyotas had a 3.0L V6 engine that I believed produced 150hp/150lbs torque, this was

matched with the standard Toyota pickup transmission, and a modified Toyota truck chassis. This setup

got us between 15 to 18 mpg.

I was looking to see if Toyota had a modern version of a 3.0L engine and I found that in 2006 Toyota had

a V6 3.0L engine in their Camrys, and this 2006 version produced 190HP/197lbs torque. If Toyota were to

build a true motorhome chassis, used the 2006 3.0L engine, and matched it up with a beefed up 5 or 6

speed transmission (auto or manual), and paired it up with a more aerodymatic Class C body, I would

guess that 20mph highway should be easily possible. The extra 40HP and 47lbs of torque should work

out to a 3.0L engine running at a lower rpm, which should buy us a 3 or 4 mpg. A modern transmission should

buy us 1 or 2 mpg, and a more aerodymatic body and chassis hopefully would buy a 1 mpg.S

Am I off base on the above?

Thanks,

Dennis...

The camry engine you speak od is truly a car engine plus is designed to run front wheel drive. The modern version of the 3.slow is the 3.4. The 3.4 was offered in later T100's and 95.5-2004 Tacomas. and I believe 96or95-2004 4Runners. The 3.4 is rated 190hp and 210 ft lbs of torque. I have one in my tacoma and am quite satisfied. Its is a dohc so tends to be a little on the high side of rpms to get those numbers. The newer versions of the Tacoma have a 4.0 liter rated at if memory serves 240hp.

I have been looking for a junked Chinook for a few years to mate with a Tacoma 98-2004 V6, but no Chinooks have found me nor I them. The search will continue. I did find a local 93 Toy pick up on the cheap...I might grab it just for giggles and dump my Taco, I like the 22re....bullit proof and simple. Plus I have a whole mess of parts for the 84-95 Toyota pick ups. Even a camper shell, not that I consider it in anyway a sleeper.

If some one has the 3.0 and its getting tired you might like to know the 3.4 is almost a direct swap. Some eletrics have to be dealt with, and from what I have read if you have a manual you stay manual. Same goes for the auto if thats what it started as you stay the same. There is a lot of info on it on the internet. All the sites I know detailing it are geared towards off roading(rockcrawling & mudding) but the info is the same.

The 3.0 had some serious down sides when compared to the 3.4, take all that was wrong with the 3.0 and fix it plus more horsepower and reliability you get a 3.4.