Need to purchase replacement isolator and fuse box

PatrickFisherProject

I have a 1984 Toyota Sunrader.  I need to purchase a replacement isolator and fuse box. 

The current isolator is a Noco, model IGD-090HP.  It has a 90 amp max current. I can find the exact model on Amazon.  Is this a good isolator or should I look for an alternative isolator?

Additionally, do you have any suggestions as to where I can find a fuse box?

Thank you in advance. 

IMG_9599.JPG

IMG_9600.JPG

I doubt there is any build-quality difference between solid-state isolators.   All they consist of is a bunch of HD rectifiers attached to a heat-sink.  They ALL have voltage loss and for that reason - I don't like them.  Using a relay instead will eliminate that voltage drop.

RE the fuse box - what sort? OEM or something you want to add on?  Dodge Caravans have some of the nicest under-hood fuseboxes around and any decent junkyard with have MANY.  What exactly is the issue? Is there something wrong with your's or do you need to add new circuit?

28 minutes ago, PatrickFisherProject said:

@jdemaris I'm not sure what the issue is with the fuse box.  He just suggested I buy a new one. Are there any specific makes and models of relays that you recommend?

Any relay that is rated "continuous" and is high amp rated. That is, unless you want a "smart" relay.  For a simple HD continuous relay - hard to beat the ones at the Surplus Center for $19.  That's what I have in two of my RVs and my pickup truck.  A conventional relay needs to be turned "on" and "off" by something.  On your Toyota you can wire it into the key-switch IGN circuit if wanted.  So then - whenever the key is :"ON" the relay closes and both batteries are connected to each other and charge.  When the key is "off", like when you are parked - the relay is open and the "house" battery cannot drain your engine starting battery.   A "smart" relay uses a voltage-sensing chip and requires no special circuit to turn it "on" or "off."  Works automatically by sensing charge voltage from the alternator.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Relays-Contactors-Solenoids/DC-Relays-Contactors-Solenoids/12-VDC-SPST-CONT-DUTY-INSULATED-SOLENOID-11-3290.axd