I Built A Generator Mount On The Rear Of My Rv

Nothing fancy like some projects people have done here.

On the rear of my 86/87 Granville they made a tow hitch by welding the receiver square tubing to each rear frame rail then tying it together with another piece of square tubing and adding a mount for a ball in the middle.

I had a warn winch receiver mount that I cut up and added 1/4" steel and then built a cage to lock into. I couldnt find a big enough plate of steel so i cut it in half to cover more area. I have not added the front and rear locks to the cage yet and may add a bar or two before I leave on my trip next Friday, but the gen will not be able to be removed once it's locked unless someone really wants it.. My goal is to be able to run the gen going down the road to power my small 7k btu roof air and also be secure if I am sleeping at a rest stop or wherever. I have not tested the gen to see if it will work going down the road yet.

Plan is to use strap to secure the gen to the base and lock the cage on the base with two locks front and back and use a hitch lock to secure the base to the rv. Square tube welded to frame was drilled up and down so I drilled my base up and down to lock it in, luckily my buddy had a drill press.

The cage wouldn't fit in the oven so it's only rattle canned. Didn't have black so we powder coated the base red. My only other option was yellow. The frame is made of angle iron which I welded tube steel to fall into the front holes and I added pipe to the rear for the rear tube steel to go into. I originally planned on drilling into each steel tube to lock the cage to the base, but now I drill through front angle iron and base and add a lock near the middle and then will add a tab to the rear to lock the back.

Hope it works!

It's no show piece, I'll update how it works going down the road once I am able to test.

photobucket-1640-1406350091617_zps55d21f

photobucket-11014-1406350736589_zps6c431

photobucket-1336-1406350223895_zps988ec3

photobucket-23545-1406350287525_zps9f46c

photobucket-27596-1406350319270_zpsd474e