Guidance on a 86 Sunrader purchase

Travis

I am looking at a local 1986 sunrader 49K seems well taken care of-

The floor feels a little soft- the kohler generator turns over but won't start.

The Pilot light on the water heater won't stay lit-

Interior is in good shape drives OK- the Tires are at 60% or so.

this had the rear table and forward bath- seatbelts for 4.

4 Cylinder- the fiber glass around the gas fill is a little tore up.

on the upper rear storage on the right side above the table showes a little moisture being present at one time.

The back leg of the table where the pole goes into the floor showes some corrosion type stuff like there was some moisture present there- It has been a california car for many years. It also have the 6 lug rear axle.

Any thoughts? they are asking 5K- and I am looking to get something I can take on weekend trips and use in campgrounds or along the road. I have been doing some research- but still learning- I typically like V6's and know my way around motors-

Am I ahead to wait for a 1991 and up or what are the thoughts? I appreciate any help.

post-1143-1190162145_thumb.jpg

post-1143-1190162928_thumb.jpg

Edited by Travis

Soft floor is not good. Tires at 60% but are they dry rotted (cracks in sidewall). I just replaced 6 tires that were at better than 60%. They are not cheap if you get the ones not made in China. The price is better than good for a "86 Sunrader with only 49k miles. Would make a nice project and the rear dinettes are popular. The plastic around gas fill still can be brought. I have to fix mine to.

I am looking at a local 1986 sunrader

Any thoughts? I typically like V6's and know my way around motors-

Am I ahead to wait for a 1991 and up or what are the thoughts? I appreciate any help.

The 1989 and later cab/chassis are much more heavy duty than the earlier models (heaver frame, brakes, springs, wider... a totally different truck).

Some that are registered as 1989 are built on the previous year (1988) cab chassis so do a VIN look up to get the actual model year of the cab/chassis for any 1989 model year unit you are considering.

Sunrader stopped production mid year 1991 so finding a newer one is not much of an option.

Sometime in 1989 Sunrader started putting in a roof truss to help support the AC units. Try to get one with a truss if you are considering mounting an AC unit or if there already is one mounted. No truss = roof sag = leaks.

Depending on the length you are looking for the V-6 can be a hard one to locate (especially in the short 18' coaches). My understanding is that there were less than 8 short (18') V-6 models built in 1991.

I can say that the 18' V-6 Sunraders have plenty of scoot, especially if you "trick up" the engine just a little bit.

Expect to spend $1k-$1.5k additional once you make your purchase for things such as shocks, brakes, tires, etc....