Burning Man and Toyhomes

paulnptld

It's questionable as to whether or not I'll be hitting BRC this year in my recently acquired Toyhome for a number of reasons. But have you ever taken yours to the playa? What was your experience like, and what advice would you pass down? Is a Toyhome ever the same after playa dust finds a way in?

If I don't make it this year, I'll have to tune in this way: http://www.ustream.tv/burningman

The man burns in 12 days! If I don't see ya there, enjoy your week at home.

i have been there in 2006 and the dust almost never comes out unless you wash all the frabic stuff. i redid the carpit and there was a lot of dust in there still.

When you get there pop the top of a can of spray glue and cover all surfaces so the dirt becomes your new surface finish. That way you will have a permanently appropraite looking trophy to let people know you really did attend burning man. Don't forget to create raised lettering with the year on it. Or you can do reverse masking so it looks like you wrote the year in the dusty surface.

Ya Baby! for the win!

uthorns

Am I the only one who has no idea what y'all are talking about? Sure I could google it but that's too easy.

The dust there , and there's a lot of it !!, is really fine, finer than talcum powder. It will get into anything. What I did was buy a bunch of disposable cameras. Wouldnt want my DSLR's / lenses subject to that. I think ours was in an enviroment like that before we got it, all the top running lights didn't lite up, after removing the covers and bulbs I blew the fine dust out of the sockets out with compressed air, now all work.

I would rent an RV for that, you will sure see a whole lotta rented RV's there.

• 1 year later...

So did you ever make it to the playa? My Dolphin made it for its 6th burn this year after being completely renovated on the inside (the outside still looks like something out of Breaking Bad, but I'm working on that next). The alkaline dust is highly corrosive so make sure you set enough time aside within your first couple of weeks back to clean as much of it off as possible. Use vinegar and water on the interior surfaces and make sure to hose down your undercarriage several times. I can see a lot of damage to the metal bits from my shoddy work in previous years (I never cleaned it off). All is still intact, and seems to be structurally sound, but clearly looking rough around edges.