Buying my first Sunrader today

Sunrader85

Hi,

This is my first time on this forum I'm on my way to look at a 1985 Sunrader 21ft 4 cylinder 4 speed with 75000 miles for $6000. From what I've read and heard it sounds like a good deal. It has the 1ton rear axle and many new parts. The only flaws so far is it needs a new frig which i read will cost $1100, no a/c and some sort of crack that does not leak. I will take any advice on what to look for, what to ask, etc I really want to buy this sunrader and I'm trying to cover all my bases beforehand. thank you in head of time

michael

My only advice is not to go there planning to buy it, like you obviously are. :)

Then you start ignoring things that are wrong with it, or making excuses for the owner, and buying something with issues. Buying something with issues is ok, but don't go there planning to come home with it. Go there planning to look at it and completely ready to walk away.

Make sure you see everything that is supposed to work, working. Look for rust and wood rot.

And all the regular mechanical stuff you'd look at on any 30 year old vehicle.

Thank you for the advice! You called it on wanting to buy. i was wondering if $6000 is a good price and if anybody knew a good site to show me how to price it. A while ago I read that you calculate miles and age and then thing to will need to be fixed. Me and my lady want at some point live in it full time. Again any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Michael

Hi,

This is my first time on this forum I'm on my way to look at a 1985 Sunrader 21ft 4 cylinder 4 speed with 75000 miles for $6000. From what I've read and heard it sounds like a good deal. It has the 1ton rear axle and many new parts. The only flaws so far is it needs a new frig which i read will cost $1100, no a/c and some sort of crack that does not leak. I will take any advice on what to look for, what to ask, etc I really want to buy this sunrader and I'm trying to cover all my bases beforehand. thank you in head of time

michael

Unless in REAL nice shape - that's a little high a price according to my reasoning. There are plenty of Sunraders around for $4000-$5000 in good shape and even more for $2500-$3000 that need some work. Of course distance is one issue. If you're in an area where they are scarce - the prices might be a bit higher.

I can't imagine paying $1100 for refrigerator. Good used three-way refrigerators are easy to find for $250-$300. Where I live lately, there's been about one every week for sale locally. That's what happens when your in an area where RVs get scrapped for parts often.

I posted some photos of an 86 near me - with low miles and no rust - with 6 brand new tires and what looks like a new refrigerator. He's asking $3900 but I know was willing to take less. That's a 21' Sunrader with auto-trans. May be gone by now - can't say for sure.

One more comment. Right now is probably the absolute worst time of year to by an RV. I'm seeing stuff sell for twice what it would have in the winter.