Transporting kayaks

DanH

Hi all, I'm considering buying a 1991 Toyota 21' Dolphin Motorhome V6. I'm a kayaker. Is there a way to transport 2 kayaks in or on a Toyota Motorhome other than by pulling a trailer? I would think that putting them up on the roof would make the center of gravity too high. I think this one has the bathroom in the rear. If the rear window opens up for use as an emergency exit, could I slide the kayaks in that window? Does anyone transport kayaks in or on a Toyota motorhome? Thanks.

Most kayaks are pretty light so I don't think you would be adding much weight. My 17' 8" Valley only weighs 50 pounds.

The weight is not an issue. I have driven my Odyssey with a canoe on the roof. You don't even know it's there. What might be a problem is mounting them.There are various roof vents on most rigs and they aren't terribly durable.

Can't speak for the dolphin, but, my Sunrader rear bed model had a large rear window that was hinged at the top. That model could easily swallow a pair of kayaks. And, I would be more comfortable with them inside than bouncing around on the roof. Another possibility, depending on kayak length is to stand them on end, strapped to the ladder. I doubt they are short enough for this though.